Do you have to pay back FAFSA?

Everyone is telling me that FAFSA is completely paid back. I don't know if I want to go to college if it's completely paid back. So, any money I get from the state after filing FAFSA do I pay it all back or not?

Favorite Answer

FAFSA is only the application that you use to apply for a wide variety of financial aid programs through the federal government, state government and universities.

If you receive scholarships or grant money through the FAFSA then you DO NOT HAVE TO PAY that back.

If you take out stafford loans or perkins loans, then those will need to be paid back. You will have 6 months after you graduate before you have to start paying them back.

After filling out the FAFSA you will receive an award letter. It will tell you which types of aid you have qualified for and will ask you to "accept" or "decline" various awards. So, you will have the opportunity to decide whether or not you need to take out those loans that will need to be paid back later on.

Some FAFSA aid does need to be paid back, some does not need to be paid back. It depends what type of aid you qualify for.

Go to www.fafsa.ed.gov for more information.

Good luck!

You don't have to pay back scholarships or grants but you have to pay back loans.

yes