Norm Hayess asked in PetsDogs · 10 years ago

How much is a dog's life worth?

The other day I noticed that my dog was limping around but I thought nothing of it. This continued for a week. We took him to the vet yesterday to learn that he tore his ACL in his back, right leg. Without the surgery he would limp his entire life and the pain is likely to get worse as he gets older. Should I have my 3 year old dog put to sleep? He seems sort of young but I'm at a crossroads. It will cost $650 for the surgery, versus $45 to be put to sleep by the vet. I really don't make alot of money and cannot afford to pay a rent's payment on a dog's leg. On a side note, my dad said he could put the dog to sleep for free, but he said I couldn’t be there to witness it.

Favorite Answer

I don't know what the rest of you are smoking but its just a dog. I can see someone spending that kind of money to fix your child's leg but not a pet! The only people that can spend that kind of money on dog surgery are older couples who never had children. In my opinion, you should let your dad take care of the problem, put it out of your mind, and pick up a new healthy dog at a shelter.

Source(s): Beanpuff is an idiot.
  • A pet's life if they're healthy is worth a lot, I even consider unborn ones' lives to be worth a whole lot. Maybe you can have the surgery done by working out a deal with the vet to do payments to help cover the cost or asking someone you know if they can loan you the money and then when you have the chance you can pay them back.

Let me just say my family is a one pay check family and we have 5 kids and 4 dogs. My husband in Military which doesn't make **** as far as money. How ever a year ago my husband found a Pug who one of his lovely soldiers left for dead in an apartment for 30 days with out food or water. She was a mess when he brought her home. My vet said she wouldn't live through the night. I got her through the first month that in it self was over $1500 for antibiotics for her eye, and ears a the special food I had to have her on. A month to the day I got her her eye ruptured and had to be removed that was $3500. This was not for a dog I had from a puppy. Not a dog that I had had for 3 years. In fact she was a dog my husband found. No we didn't have the money and we didn't ask for hand outs. My kids even said they would give up their Christmas to help her. Which they didn't have too. Yes I paid evey last dime of it. She is now a happy healthy 17lbs pug with one eye. Pretty good for starting out 5lbs and full of fleas with a bad eye.

It's been 3 years. A dog should feel like a family member. You don't put down family for $45, trying to save yourself $650. You shouldn't have gotten a dog if $650 was too much to pay for its life.

Seriously, get the surgery.

Do you know how many laughs and memories that little dog will give you? It's worth a hell more than $650.

EDIT: I totally agree with the end of Rayven's part. Scrap up some money and pay for the surgery. Get a summer job. Lots of places are hiring ATM, lots of "summer themed" jobs. For example, ice cream parlours.

Don't kill an animal simply because you don't want to pay for it.

PLUS: Your dad clearly is setting a fine example for you! "Get rid of it when its no use!"

^

I was being sarcastic.

A dog's life is definitely worth more than $650!

I would first talk to the vet to inquire about possible non-surgical treatments, a splint/cast, therapy, medication, or anything else that might help the situation without surgery.

If that is not possible, ask your vet about payment plans so you can have the surgery.

If that is not an option, contact a local shelter/rescue and give up your dog to them so he can receive treatment and be placed in a home where the family can afford his care and he doesn't have to die because you cannot afford his treatment.

Floyd has the right idea - do you know how many healthy dogs can be bought in your life for a total of $650? Look at it this way, fix this dog for 650, and he'll live another 10 years or so maybe (his knee probably won't heal anyway). Or put him down for $45, and buy a dog from the shelter for $35 which could last 5 to 10 years with no problems. If they develop a problem, put him down and get another shelter dog. You're likely to go 30 years on several shelter dogs for a total cost of less than $100, versus spending $650 for a dog that may or may not heal and last only 10 years maybe. Let your dad put a bullet in his head and pick up another mutt. It's a lot cheaper to rotate through dogs than pay for surgery.

Source(s): Dogs don't have souls.

$650 is cheap for a ligament repair.

Borrow the money.

Use your credit card.

Apply for Care Credit.

Sell something.

Ask your vet for a payment plan.

When my dog ruptured her cruciate ligament it cost me $5000 for TPLO surgery. 12 months later the other knee went...so another $5000+

You ask "how much is a dog's life worth"? It's worth whatever you think it's worth. My dogs lives are worth everything to me.

By the way, your father is a cruel man. He can, and hopefully will be charged with animal cruelty if he kills your dog and you are just as guilty as him, if not more so if you would even consider this.

Don't you care at all about your dog? If you kill this dog do not ever get another dog.

A dog's life is worth exactly as much as any other life, including yours.

So, would you rather be killed, or have your family pay $650 for a surgery?

How DARE you even decide to put a dogs life in your hands. You are obviously filth. Get him the surgery, or give him to someone who can actually care for- and LOVE that poor dog, and get him the help it needs, instead of you.

People like you disgust me, even if you are a filthy troll. Like your two friends, Floyd and Donnie.

• Alice

If I were you, I would ask the vet if I could get the surgery performed on my dog and pay it off on time. Many vets will do that if you have been taking your dog to see them as necessary for shots, neutering, etc. and they can trust you to pay your bills.

Otherwise, I would get some pain medication for my dog for now and save up as fast as I could for the surgery. I might sell or pawn something in order to afford it.

Give the dog to the humane society.