How much is a dog's life worth?

The other day I noticed that my dog was limping around but I thought nothing of it. This continued for a week. We took him to the vet yesterday to learn that he tore his ACL in his back, right leg. Without the surgery he would limp his entire life and the pain is likely to get worse as he gets older. Should I... show more The other day I noticed that my dog was limping around but I thought nothing of it. This continued for a week. We took him to the vet yesterday to learn that he tore his ACL in his back, right leg. Without the surgery he would limp his entire life and the pain is likely to get worse as he gets older. Should I have my 3 year old dog put to sleep? He seems sort of young but I'm at a crossroads. It will cost $650 for the surgery, versus $45 to be put to sleep by the vet. I really don't make alot of money and cannot afford to pay a rent's payment on a dog's leg. On a side note, my dad said he could put the dog to sleep for free, but he said I couldn’t be there to witness it.
27 answers 27