If liberal ideas are so good, why do they have to be mandatory?

Favorite Answer

They're communists deep down in their heart.

if killing people is a bad idea.... why do we have to make a law against it?

I mean it's a bad idea... clearly, you know that people won't do anything that is a bad idea... as your question implies... so there is no need for a law... right?

or... do you think that some people don't aways do what is good and we have to set some basic groundrules for everyone?

this question shows the folly that is libertarianism... liberals may be idealist... but libertarians are blatantly and purposefully naive idealists far beyond any liberal I've ever met...

• David

Laws are mandatory, regardless of whether they're "liberal", "conservative", or none of the above. That's why they're called laws. Laws that could be considered liberal are no more and no less mandatory than conservative ones.

As for a specific example of "liberal" laws from which we benefit are concerned, I cite the FDA. Ever read Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle"? Would you want to eat food that was produced in the conditions depicted in that book? The idea that producers of food should be able to use their own discretion in such matters is naive at best, as you'll presumably agree. (If you disagree, I'd love to hear your rationale for doing so.)

Similarly, labor laws could be considered "liberal". Are you in favor of child labor, people working grueling 16-hour shifts in unsafe and unhygienic conditions, etc? Should industry be able to regulate itself in such cases?

It's this very reason that so many people call me an apolitical liberal or a Libertarian.

I like liberal ideas, but I'm not a fan of forcing them on the unwilling.

Originally many of the liberal ideas that came out of the Great Depression of the 1930s were well intentioned.

The Radical Extreme Left used the good will generated by the liberals to take over the Democratic Party in the 1960s.

Although the liberals were well intentioned, the Radical Extreme Leftists are not.

It is the Radical Extreme Left that wants to make their ideas mandatory for the same reasons that Josef Stalin and Chairman Mao wanted to make their ideas mandatory.

Essentially Josef Stalin and Chairman Mao saw the general population as "useful Idiots" who could be used to provide a very wealthy and privileged lifestyle for themselves a few friends fo Josef Stalin and Chairman Mao who saw themselves as "elites" with "superior brains".

In Reality Josef Stalin and Chairman Mao were merely thugs with a rather ridiculous Grandiose and undeserved opinion of themselves.

The Radical Extreme Left use Josef Stalin and Chairman Mao as models for their own behavior.

That is the reason that the Radical Extreme Leftists carried Chairman Mao's little red book everywhere they went.

Many of the Radical Extreme Leftists still have their copies of Chairman Mao's little red book and live by Chairman Mao's little red book.

The Radical Extreme Leftists of the Democratic Party are not your friends.

.

Source(s): I am a former member of the Democratic Party. I know those people. .

Same reason "conservative" ideas have to be mandatory. Oh, wait! You think without making it mandatory, only a man and a woman would get married? You think without making it forbidden altogether, nobody would use drugs?

How's that partisanship working for ya?

• Mandatory for the little people and not the elite. It's about power.

They think people are stooo000pid or like animals and they the" liberal" elite have superior mindset.

you mean like the FDA? so i don't have to worry about poisoned foods?

or regulated water treatment systems so we don't get poisoned from our drinking water (see "gasland" )

or

truancy laws for public schools so your kid doesn't end up on welfare?

Because civil society cannot function where folks have an "every man/woman for themselves" mind-set.

Ha! Great question. It's always done by force, they never give you a choice. I guess they are afraid that people won't choose what they want.