Amy asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 10 years ago

When does Ciprofloxacin expire?

I think i have a UTI or atleast the beginning of one but i don't want to go all the way to the doctors. I have a bottle of cipro that i never finished when i had my last UTI. I got the pills on 5/13/09. Its 8/17/10

so its been 1 year and 3 months. I read that cipro has a shelf life of 36 months but i want to be sure. Does anyone know when cipro expires?

• Corey
    Favorite Answer

The 36 month "shelf-life" of ciprofloxacin is a very conservative estimate. It is a very stable drug and will last AT LEAST 36 months, probably more like 3-6 years. If it's only been a year and you haven't exposed it to other chemicals or extreme heat, you should be fine.

Source(s): Pharmacology.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

When does Ciprofloxacin expire?

so its been 1 year and 3 months. I read that cipro has a shelf life of 36...

Source(s): ciprofloxacin expire: https://shortly.im/L01Eo

Cipro Shelf Life

The Cipro you have is almost certainly still good. If you store solid tablet medications (not liquid gels caps) in the freezer, they are good for many, many years. However, you may not have sufficient tablets on hand to fully kill off the bacteria causing your UTI. If you have sufficient Cipro on hand to take it for at least 7 days, you should be fine. If you do not have enough to take it this long, you would be wise to see your doctor and get another prescription. Not treating infections for a sufficiently long time to kill off all the bacteria causing the infection is an open invitation for the infection to return, only the next time it may be resistant to the antibiotic.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/MDgNC

I do not recommend you use the Cipro. All the chemicals in the medication have different half-lives, so over time, the entire makeup of the Cipro will change and can cause dangerous side-effects if taken well beyond its expiration date.