How come some people are so skeptic about extra-terrestrial life?

Like, some people think that even if there were extra-terrestrial life, it would only be some sort of bacteria. Why don't people think that there is a possibility that there is a species like us or maybe even more advanced? if they believe that we evolved, (i'm not so sure about that), why don't they think that they can evolve? that would explain a lot of UFO encounters. People also believe that there are no such things as UFO's. (the alien kind). There are some instances that just can't be explained, and some good evidence, videos, and when a whole city sees the same thing. plus, after watching some TV shows about them, they have some pretty good evidence, too. I'm not saying i believe in them, but you have to wonder if it was one.

Favorite Answer

Of course there is life out there! How can we be the only life in the universe? I can't believe the ego of some people to actually think we are the apex when it comes to intelligent life.

You remember the old story about aliens visiting the earth but after a short stay decided to leave because they, in fact, couldn't find any intelligent life! lol

Many "skeptics" doubt the possibility of extra-terrestrial life. Due to the majority of the world, or at least the western world being Christian, if extra-terrestrial life were found it would disprove the bible (again). Although, considering the fact that people blindly ignore the entirely logical and infallible theory of evolution, perhaps I'm mistaken, and people would ignore that finding too. Some also deny extra-terrestrial life out of fear of the unknown, as humans have done all of history. The possibility of something out there that may be, if not as intelligent, more intelligent then us, doesn't soothe the human ego well.

The sheer size of the universe would suggest however that there is, at least, lower forms of life like bacteria. Most, if not all of the UFO "sightings" and "encounters" have simply been hoaxes. People looking for publicity, or perhaps just wishful thinking.

Nothing has been proved however. Perhaps it's a good thing people don't just believe there is extra-terrestrial life without any proof though. I would prefer people basing their beliefs and ideologies on facts instead of delusions.

Personally, I believe there is life out there. The universe is just simply far too big for there not to be, and it's egotistic to think that we're the only ones here. Comparing us to the universe of what we know, we're like a grain of sand on the Earth. But considering what we don't know, it's more like a grain of sand on the Sun. But that size could also be the problem. We may never find them

The reason people are skeptical about visiting aliens is mainly because there is, in fact, no solid evidence that we've been visited. Why, after all these years, do we not have good photographic or video evidence of them, and why haven't we recovered artifacts that are unquestionably extraterrestrial in origin (made of unknown alloys, for instance)? What we have instead are grainy photos (many of them known forgeries), eyewitness accounts (which are notoriously unreliable), and the like.

The other reason for skepticism is that interstellar travel is much much more difficult than you probably realize. The distances between stars are enormous! That doesn't make it impossible, just difficult--and impractical, wouldn't you say, to send hundreds of valuable ships on what must be years-long journeys just to fly around and frighten people in the countryside?

Since interstellar travel is so difficult, it makes it improbable that we're being visited by aliens, especially on a continuous basis. Not impossible, but unlikely--now, couple that with a lack of evidence that they've been here, and the most reasonable conclusion is that we haven't been.

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure that life exists out there. Planets are apparently pretty common, and it's starting to look as though life takes root pretty easily when conditions are reasonably right for it. But, I expect that *intelligent* life is vanishingly rare. My guess is there might be 100 or so planets in the galaxy with it--which sounds like a lot, until you consider there are over 200 Billion stars in the Milky Way. I'd be surprised if there was an intelligent race closer than 100 light-years away, which is 20 times farther than the closest star. I would be super excited to learn we've made first contact with an alien race, but I just don't have any reason to think we have--and "I want it" is no reason to convince myself it's true.

In general, people are not skeptics about the possibility of other sentient lifeforms (even intelligent ones) out there, somewhere.

People are very skeptics about UFOs being aliens visiting us. One of the main reasons is that the U in UFO means simply "Unidentified". A lot of the "sightings" are simply objects that the observer does not recognized (unidentified to the observer) but easily explained by more experienced observers.

Once you analyze the so-called "alien encounters", it is often very easy to see that there is no evidence that UFOs have anything to do with aliens.

I participate in searches for extra-terrestrial life. We even has a full unit on that when I took my Masters in Astronomy. Therefore, I am very interested whenever someone claims to have evidence.

So far, I have seen no credible evidence. None. Nada. Zero.

Most thinking people are not necessarily skeptical about the the potential existence of extraterrestrial life. The statistics are compelling, after all. The skepticism is initiated when the discussion turns to internet hoaxes concerning "UFO encounters," which are just nonsense with no technical justification. Once you understand the effects of relativity and the true size of the aching void between stars, these tales about alien visits quickly descend into silly campaigns for publicity and entertainment value. YouTube videos and television documentaries are not technical justification. They are just silly.

• ­

I've seen a UFO that was never identified, and several others witnessed it, including news reporters. We never discovered what it was, and the government didn't know either. Because it was unidentified, that means it's neither confirmed or unconfirmed as something extra-terrestrial. Like you, I would love to have some answers. One big problem is what you call good evidence isn't really proof until it can be identified, and how does one do that without much to examine?

I think it's possible that there's other lifeforms out there, but if so, they aren't very interested in us because they aren't too willing to let themselves be known. If they could travel to our planet, they would likely consider us not too advanced.

Your tirade lost all credibility when you expressed doubt about the theory of evolution. It is supported by more evidence than any other theory in any science.

Most people I know about consider it highly unlikely that life didn't evolve anywhere but earth, considering the size of the universe.

As for UFOs I've never been presented with any evidence that isn't either anecdotal (immediately dismissible), a possible hoax or misinterpretation of a naturally explainable event. Ignoramuses even sometimes think Venus is a UFO.

The problem comes when people state categorically that UFOs are alien spacecraft piloted by intelligent extraterrestrials.

While aliens on other worlds may exist, and they may be more advanced than we are, there is NO PROOF they exist and NO PROOF they have been to Earth.

Just because something can't be explained doesn't mean that the ONLY explanation is "aliens".

Videos, photos, eyewitness accounts, noises and lights in the sky - these are dramatic but they are NOT PROOF.

Proof is something physical, concrete, something that can be examined by independant professional scientists and technicians with open sharing of their findings.

Until there is proof, its all just speculation and hearsay.

i believe there is/have been alien life in the universe besides us. but as for more advanced... think about how many planets out there have an atmosphere to be able to enhabit life. then think about how many different kinds of species are here. literally hundreds of thousands. but after 4.5 billion years we only came around at very most 4 million years ago. its super rare. not that it hasn't happened.. we don't know. but as for more advanced... getting so advanced means you have a lot of resources on your planet... look at us... look at how long we've had all our cars.. barely 100 years.. now we are already running low on these fossil fuels... all 40% of planets are small terrestrial planets. they are close to the same size. and if this is the same size.. then they would be limited to as much as we would be. you have to use the resources that are at hand... and starting out they would all be restricted to their own planet. and look at how much it would take us to colonize space... the chances are... it is extremely rare and probably not out there...

One requirement to travel from one star system to another is the ability to travel faster than light. And currently that's impossible for us, and it's that basis why they are skeptical. Simply because we can't do it.

But largely due to the lack of physical evidence of something so extraordinary that could not possibly exist in physics. Such as traveling to the stars at faster than light speeds.