Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 9 years ago

do i have a eating disorder?

im 15. my twin had anerexia a few years ago when we were about 12. Now I'm showing signs of it im being told but i just wanna be fit. I wanna look good and have a muscular toned body. I want abs and i want to look healthy. I don't eat a lot of junk and I'm careful what i eat. I don't eat a lot but that's cuzz im used to not eating much anymore. I lost 25 pounds in 4 months. Im now 125 and I'm 5'7.

People told me I got to skinny and that i need to fatten up some. I'm not skinny skinny. i used to be chubbier but i lost that fat and i like the way i look now. I dont wanna change. I wanna have my abs showing thats why i lost a lot of weight. i look fine now i think. I don't wanna be wicked skinny. I saw how my sister was and she looked horrible. I just wanna be healthy and look good and toned but my family don't like it. As i said...they said im showing signs of anerexia. My sister used to want to cook her food..and now i do that but because I like to cook and usually my parents load the food up with crap that makes it unhealthy. i watch what i eat because I wanna see the results im looking for not because I think im fat. I look actually muscluar and lean and that's what im aiming for. how can i get them to understand that im just eating healthly and that im not anerexic.

Best Answer

It doesn't sound to me at all like you have an eating disorder. I understand wanting to eat healthy, and have a lean, toned body! That's a very good mindset and you are not anorexic because of that.

Anorexia is mostly associated with extreme continuous weight loss and restricting food to an excessive amount.

Bulimia is associated with purging food after it has been eaten.

From what I've read, you don't have anything to do with either of those and you don't have a bad self image which is usually the first sign of it.

And about people saying that you are too skinny, you are not. You are probably very lean, but by no means sickly. You do not need to gain weight unless you want to, and you certainly don't need to lose it! You are fine just how you are.

Your BMI (Body Mass Index) is 19.5

Underweight is below 18.5

Overweight is 25- 29.9

Obese is 30 and above

& Some people just like to cook, tell them they've nothing to worry about and if they're really that concerned, you'll weigh yourself for them once a week to show that you have nothing to hide from them. (They just love you, they're very concerned about you. As you know, eating disorders are very devastating and they just don't want that to happen to you too.) It seems like it might be annoying to you, but it's just to give them a bit of comfort and peace of mind. To be most accurate wear only a robe, and just do it real quick with your mom so you don't feel shy.

• Jen

Sounds like your parents are nervous that you're heading down the same path your twin went through and they're trying to nip it in the bud before it gets bad. Don't lose any more weight and you will be fine. It's not a bad thing to want to be healthy, as long as you're doing it the right way and the healthy way and not worrying about just the number on the scale.

It doesn't sound like you have an eating disorder and it will take awhile before your parents realize this, as well.

How does your twin see it?

If multiple people say you are skinny, you certainly weight less than average. Stop trying to lose weight and just eat healthy ammounts of healthy food (You can eat unhealthy food, but not too much) and do some kind of sport. That way youll never have to worry about being too fat or being too skinny, because you eat enough and exercise enough.

I think the best way to prove you don't have anorexia is to look up symptoms and prove to them you don't have them. Here is a common list of symptoms:

Well, I tried to copy and paste the list in, but it didn't format correctly. So I would suggest you look at the website I will put under sources. There is also a table on the website that tells the difference between dieting and anorexia.

Good Luck.

It's really hard to answer this without knowing you, especially since all you've been saying is reasons why you seem to think you don't have an eating disorder. Just keep in mind that most people with eating disorders don't think they have anything wrong with them and are very hard to convince otherwise.

you are not anorexic. you just care about the things you eat. if you like the way you look, don't change, just don't lose anymore weight and you will be fine, you also don't really show any symptoms of anorexia at all, just be careful :)

good luck with your parents

-maci

• Leah

All I can say is great job :-D!!! that's incredible 25 pounds in 4 months is really good!! So keep up the good work

lol im 14 im a guy and im 130 pounds, 5'7 too, soo im sure your looking pretty bangin :)

and i dont look all scrawny just average.

• Kat

Have you told them that? And do you exercise? Maybe they just see that you are eating differently and that's it

I understand their feelings because you and your twin share genetic dispositions