I failed! Now what to expect at the 3 hour glucose test?

First off.....I had one sip of soda before I went. I was starving and I needed SOMETHING with a little flavor and the only thing my husband had was a stupid mountain dew!!! I know that was stupid... but could that little drink have messed up my scores?

Anyway, what should I expect at the 3 hr. test? Am I allowed to eat anything before I go? Just got a call from the receptionist and she didn't give me very much information.

Favorite Answer

The 1 hour glucose tolerance test is not really something that you "pass" or "fail". Rather, it is a diagnostic tool used to determine if a 3 hour glucose tolerance test is warranted. Many women have elevated glucose numbers with their one hour test yet go on to have normal glucose numbers with their 3 hour test. It is certainly possible that drinking a non-diet soft drink could have adversely affected your 1 hour test results. Depending on the particular practice of your doctor, typically the 1 hour test does not require fasting and you can eat or drink right up to an hour or so before the test. However, some doctors prefer you have fasted at least 8 hours. A lot depends on your particular risk factors. You will want to contact your doctor's office to clarify the particular prep your doctor wants you to do to prepare for the 3 hour test. Usually the 3 hour test requires a period of fasting, typically sometime between 8-12 hours. Eating or drinking anything, including water (excluding what you might need to brush your teeth or take medicine) is included in the fasting requirements. It's a good idea to pack a healthy snack that you can eat right after the test is over. You will likely be hungry and may feel a bit sick. A healthy carbohydrate choice such as whole wheat bread or a whole grain tortilla with some lean ham or turkey, perhaps a little cheese and plenty of veggies (lettuce, tomato, onion, peppers, etc.) will give you a good balance of nutrition to help with the hunger as well as off-set the sweetness of the glucose solution you have to drink. Just pack it in a cooler with adequate ice and leave it in your car so you can eat it as soon as you are released from the test. Statistics are on your side as only about 5% of pregnant women develop Gestational Diabetes. I had Gestational Diabetes with my 4th pregnancy. It is challenging to eat properly, exercise, and test your blood glucose levels, but it is possible to manage Gestational Diabetes. Sometimes nurses and doctors get busy and forget that their patients don't know a particular fact, so it's always best to ask questions and ask for clarification from them if you need further information or aren't sure about something. The health care professionals associated with your doctor's office know your personal medical history best and are your best resource to get answers that pertain to your unique pregnancy. ADDED: Just as a personal note, when I had my 1 hour glucose tolerance test I was given the orange flavored glucose solution. I'm not a fan of orange and afterwards I was nauseous and didn't feel too well for several days. I mentioned this to my doctor and she suggested I inquire about a different flavor when I had my 3 hour test. I opted for a cola flavored glucose solution, drank it very cold, and it sat much better for me than the orange did.

1

Source(s): Destroy Diabetes Starting Today - http://diabetescure.raiwi.com/?wTJU

2

Source(s): I Cured My Diabetes - http://diabetesgofar.com/?Rbig
  • ayoub

Rules For Glucose Test

If you had soda you need to tell your OB that you drank something with sugar in it before they tested you. I ate cereal that apparently had a lot of sugar in it and when they tested me they saw a lot of sugar in my blood. I told them I had eaten something and they said they would wait and test me that following week and sure enough everything was fine. So yes, soda could have affected your scores. As for the 3 hr test, you cant eat/drink. They'll give you this stuff to drink, I heard the orange one is better than the others. You'll probably gag but just dont throw it up or else you have to do it all over again. I'm not sure if you can have water afterwards. My friend who was pregnant was given some water after but not a lot

Im in Australia and our tests must be slightly different to yours. For us for the 1hr GTT- glucose tolerance test, we don't have to fast. My ob said to eat what i normally did. I had breakfast and a cup of coffee before i went. However with the 3hr one you do have to fast- I'm not sure how long or what the rules are because i haven't had to do one.

From what i understand about gestational diabetes- it's about the way your body processes sugar. If you don't have it it won't matter how much sugar you eat- you won't get bad results. However if you do have it only the smallest amount of sugar will effect your blood sugar levels. So i highly doubt 1 sip of soda will throw your results out- unless you actually have gestational diabetes.

You need to ring your doc and find out what the rules are for this one as it seems to be different depending where you live and where you go to have the test done.

That sip could have had something to do with the test score. You can't eat anything before you go, same rules apply to the 3 hour test.

Source(s): Mom of 2, had gestational diabetes with #1
  • ?

Yeah it would affect the test. Especially something like mountain dew. Your supposed to have absolutely nothing to eat or drink except maybe water (but ask your dr or the people administering your test). That's why it especially sucks when they give you a late appointment. Good luck though, I hope you don't have to take another test because they royally suck!!

Source(s): Pregnant two times!~

fess up about the soda and ask if you can re-take the one hour test, mt dew is practically pure sugar, no surprise your sugars were off

The 3 hour is awful, but you can do it. You have to fast before hand (no cheating this time!), they draw your blood, give you another sugar drink, then draw once an hour for the next 3 hours.

• ?

They let me have unbuttered toast (wheee) and milk before my glucose test. Regardless I got light-headed and almost passed out. Onto the 3 hour for me!

(My friend just had her 3 hour test today and she said they made her fast 12 hours beforehand. Not fun, but doable.)

By "failed" do you mean that your sugars were diabetes-level? I guess I wasn't aware this was a pass/fail exam...