What does the confederate flag mean to people?

I'm a little curious... I see the flag flown at country music events and in various places in the south. My first instinct is that the people who use it want slavery (???) but that can't be right. Is it just old world values?? States rights?? What does the flag mean to these people?

Favorite Answer

Flat-out racism.

P.S. I "grew up in the South" too, pal. Sorry, but I've never seen a Confederate Flag flown by anybody but raging racists.

Confederate Flag (Civil War) doesn't symbolize slavery. The Civil War wasn't about slavery, it was about States Rights.

Slavery was banned in the Confederate Constitution.

The fact that the KKK used it might be the root of the racism.

The KKK also used the Cross, and people don't complain about that

I grew up in the deep south and i find it not disrespectful and disrespectful. Its not racism its a culture of rednecks.Its like blacks raising the ragaee flag. I have redneck friends and they are nice and they wont hang you or kill you (ex.KKK).All you people from the north should shut it until you know the facts

It represent racism, Southern racism at best!

• Don M

I grew up in the south, and mostly it means, "stay out of my business". It's a symbol of defiance, especially against northern intellectuals who think they know how to run things.

It can either represent southern pride, or racism.

What is a confederate flag??