What does an Environmental Engineer do?!?

my dad recently sugguested i become one... dunno why really cuz i dunno what they do?! anyone know?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • David
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

It's pretty similar to civil engineering. Most environmental engineers will work designing or working at water treatment plants or wastewater treatment plants. Some may also work with solid waste, such as designing landfills, some may work with air pollution, some may work cleaning up contaminated soil, some end up doing coastal or hydrological engineering.

But as with most fields of engineering, there is a lot of freedom after you get your degree. It's not uncommon for an environmental engineer to end up doing something completely unrelated to what I mentioned above, just like someone who studied electrical engineering may end up doing mechanical engineering work. A lot of it will depend on what you specifically find interesting.

Most universities will offer a sort of "intro to engineering" class that will introduce you to the various engineering fields, so you can get a taste of them all and decide what you want to do from there.

Source(s): I'm an environmental engineer
  • JcL
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

They design landfills, design pollution control equipment, work as a regulatory (for EPA), work as consultant cleaning up industrial pollution, work in industry to manage Environmental Programs for a corporation.

Like the medical field, their are specialties within the field based upon what you want to do. If you like chemistry to could work on water pollution & design water treatment facilities, if you like mechanical things you could work on oil blow out preventers or solar power, windmills, etc. If you like the earth sciences like geology could design landfills or be a geotechnical engineer that evaluates the soil and ground to determine what kinds of support a skyscraper needs, if you like biology you could design docks, piers, and aquariums.

Source(s): Did it.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Engineer the Environment

• 9 years ago

it is a term used to make a job sound better if your job is emptying dust bins (in the UK or Trash cans In the USA ) they call you a environmental engineer

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.