What would be a good size power inverter to power a normal laptop in a personal vehicle?

I work on the road a lot and need to use my laptop to send paper work via E-mail from my personal vehicle. I was looking at an 80 watt continuous/200 watt peak power inverter from Harbor Freight. Something small and least expensive. I don't know to much about power inverters and am looking for some good solutions.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

Well the peak power doesn't matter, that is the first thing you need to know. All the "peak power" means is that for a fraction of a second it can produce/handle that much power. Continuous is the real amount of power you'll want to compare with. Your laptop should say somewhere how many watts it uses to charge. Maybe on the power brick or battery somewhere.

To be honest i doubt your charger will take less than a 100Watt light bulb but you never know.

• biron
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

it would harm the inverter and blow a number of the fuses on the circuit. Wattage measures the optimal potential a gadget might draw. It does not constantly choose that potential, yet, while it does, and the circuit can't furnish, fuses would be blown or, if incorrect fuses used, issues will catch on hearth. Now, many laptop adapters in recent times are rated for one hundred ten-240 Volts at 50-60-HZ. examine if yours is like that. if so, then the inverter isn't mandatory. EDIT: if your laptop's potential brick says "a hundred-240v 50-60Hz." then you definately might basically plug it into US circuits without concern. All you elect is a plug adapter, yet not an inverter. those plug adapters decide for some funds at return and forth shops. EDIT 2: Do you ought to run this off of a automobile inverter for 13h? it relatively is an entire new can of worms. those "wattages" are many times meant as "height" and not non-give up.

• Doctor
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for your question; the best solution is, you can use a UPS of 500VA capacity powered by internal 12V battery. Only you have to do a modification that just disconnect the internal battery and connect directly to the 12V battery of your vehicle. This job has to done by a qualified service personnel to avoid any fire/ shock/ hazard.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

i use a 300w power inverter for mine

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.