mangalover asked in PetsFish · 9 years ago

Can a betta fish live in purified drinking water or can it live in just tap water or distilled water?

I just bought a betta fish and I'm not sure what type of water is suitable for a betta fish. I don't want to give it the wrong water and have it end up dying. I've read on sources that purified water is the best but I'm still not sure.

Favorite Answer

Tap water contains chlorine that can be harmful to all animals (humans included) but especially harmful to fish because they'd have to live in it if you use it. You have 3 options-

1. You can let the water sit in a container for at least 24 hours to get the chlorine out. Putting it through a water purifier or filter will not get the chlorine out.

2. You can get a dechlorinator or conditioner to neutralize the chlorine in the tap water (follow the instructions on the bottle). You can buy this at any store that sells fish supplies.

3. Use bottled water that has been purified by reverse-osmosis

• mcveay

Can Betta Fish Live In Tap Water

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): betta fish live purified drinking water live tap water distilled water: https://biturl.im/p7qjy

Ideally you need some Tap Safe of some kind! Tap water is extremely clean and healthy for human consumption/use but it actually has A LOT of chlorine with in it. Although Betta's are air breathing fish and can live in water conditions that most fish would die in they still have gills like any other fish. High amounts of chlorine (like the amounts found in most tap water) gets inside the gills of the fish and damages the soft tissue that makes up the gill. Over time a fish's gills will become so damaged by the chlorine on the inside that the fish will struggle to breath due to its damaged respiratory system and eventually die if the chlorine level in the water isn't lowered. Tap safe and water conditioners don't generally cost that much and you can get it from nearly all pet retailers. Your goldfish is obviously very hardy to have survived being in a tank of water with no anti-chlorine treatment within it. If you don't want to purchase Tap Safe etc, then you could always use filtered water from a Brita jug or something like that. The filters get rid of a lot of the chlorine in tap water which is what makes it nicer to drink so you could filter the water instead instead of directly putting tap water in your aquarium (that's if you own a water filter jug). Hope this helps! :-D

bottled water is best but you can use tap water if you use a water conditioner for the tap water its fine

tap water has ammonia that can kill the fish. you have 2 options. let the water sit for at least 24 hours, or buy water conditioner. (its like 3-4 bucks a bottle)

Purified. Tap has clorine