When you send an email can you be tracked or traced thru the IP address?

I want to send an email to someone & tell her some stuff that she needs to know but I do not want anyone to know it was me. Point blank there are too many people that will be hurt that are involved. I have a dummy email address that I can send it from but I just want to know how close can someone get to finding out who you are thru your IP? When I search my IP in an IP tracker/tracer it comes up a city that is about 60 miles away... IDK, I am just nervous. Oh & if I go to a library & send the email would they have anyway of knowing it was me? Like if she traced the emails IP could she see that it was sent from the library, contact the library & they look thru surveillance of the time that it was sent & know that it was me? Far fetched huh?

Best Answer

yeah.. yes it can, but it needs to either be something done by a moderately skilled hacker (or just someone who knows how), or the fbi or someone for investigation..

and if you did it at the library, they would just check the email address, if you made a new email address at the library, the only way they could know it was you is if they know who was on that computer at that time...

don't do it if it's going to hurt that many people, that's really mean... if it's going to help one person and hurt many others it's not worth it.. at all..

• Miha L

See by yourself what is possible to track from if you send an email to someone with help of email tracers:

http://www.ipaddresslocation.org/email-tracking/em...

http://www.find-ip-address.org/email-search/find-e...

Just copy/paste email header and you will know what someone else may know about you.

• ??

If it will hurt to many that are involved, don't send it.

it is possible someway i heard, but only she can because it involves the header of the email.

Source(s): i read that you can somewhere

yes but the odds of them trying are very slim...

• Lovely

send it to me and I'll send it to her

yes it can.