Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How hard would it be for me to get a Green Card?

I am a British (citizen of UK) woman (21) and I have just graduated from Harvard Law School; I am looking to move to New York City however I realise Immigration is difficult due to me being a British citizen. What would be the best entry to the US? And how hard would it for me to do so (considering I do not have a confirmed source of employment) ?

4 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    you are a graduate from law school and can't look up immigration law? I am aware that people specialize, but it's not that much of a challenge looking up current rules and regulations....

    In short read up on H1B visa. You need to find an employer to sponsor you. For the first year you can apply for OPT -which you already should have done if you wanted to stay.

    You should know that you have a 90 day grace period after graduation, either you found/applied for a different visa or you need to leave.

    Google USCIS as the government source. You can read up on greencards while you are there as well. But I don't think any company will sponsor you for a greencard without you first working there on an H1B.

    You can also ask your international student office. If you are lucky they have somebody there who actually know what they are talking about.

  • Vivac
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    If you have just graduated from Harvard law should possess an F1 visa right ?Have you not applied for OPT or see if you're applicable to apply.There are also many law firms in the State which you have graduated and might be easier to gain your license there.

    Immigration is also specifically difficult because of the structure of the system not because you're "a British citizen".Law firms are also not the only sponsors of lawyers for employment check around Non-profits that are looking for confirmed legal aid as well.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Its very hard to move to the US from the UK.

    Your best option would be either marraige or sponsorship trough enployment.

    The problem with the later is that the company has to prove that they cannot find law graduates in their area.

    I would talk to the school and see if they know of any companies. New york might be difficult because there are a lot of lawyers there.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Pick a visa

    There are basically NINE ways that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

    (1) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.

    (2) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. scientific or medical training. A degree is normally a must. Or you have superior specialist skills with at least 12 years experience. (H visas)

    (3) You have an Employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (2) above.(L visas)

    (4) You may get a Green card in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland, are not generally eligible unless you, your spouse or parents were born abroad or held a different citizenship.

    (5)You own or buy business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no green card)You must be a national of a qualifying Treaty countries. The business must have a minimum value of around $150k (more the better) bearing in mind you will need somewhere to live and with any startup business you will need at least 2 years living money as back up. So a figure of $350k would be a nearer minimum (E-2 visas)

    (6)You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US $1m in assets to bring with you. half of that in a few areas. And your background will be investigated to the hilt. (EB-5 visas)

    (7)You have a close relative (mother, father, brother, sister and no further) who is an US citizen who would sponsor you, approx time this take 2-12 years?

    (8.The R1 visa is available to foreign members of religious denominations, having bona fide non-profit religious organizations in the U.S., for entering the U.S. to carry on the activities of a minister or religious worker as a profession, occupation or vocation

    (9)THE UNUSUAL You are in a position to claim refugee status/political asylum. or You get a member of Congress to sponsor a private bill with legislation that applies just to you.

    The S visa issued to persons who assist US law enforcement to investigate and prosecute crimes and terrorist activities such as money laundering and organized crime

    Recruitment agent will not take you seriously if you are not already in the US. Writing for jobs is really a waste of time; likewise US employers have no idea what foreign qualification are or mean (except Degrees) it may pay you to get your qualification translated into a US equivalent, there are Companies that do this ( ..

    But if you are getting a visa under (2) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. Your Employer will be your sponsor this will cost them upward of $5k. So you can see you have to be offering something really special to get considered They may also have to prove to the Dept of labor that there is no American who can do the job if the position is to be permanent ©

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.