My computer loses certain programs after it shuts down.?

I have a Windows Vista. Lately, when I download certain programs, I have to reinstall them after I reboot my computer because they all but disappear from my computer. Sid Meier's Civilization IV, for example, or even Yahoo Messenger. Both of these files remain in the programs list, but when their shortcuts are clicked they claim to lead to programs that can't be found, as if I uninstalled them, which I did not. Also, their little icons disappear and are replaced with a gray box. I figure that's relevant cause it always happens. I can reinstall them, but I don't see why I should have to. They should just stay on the damn computer. Any ideas of why this is happening?

Favorite Answer

Most of the time that indicates bad sectors on the hard drive. While they files are being copied there, they corrupt when the drive is turned off. Usually that means that you need to save your pennies quickly because you will need to purchase a new hard drive shortly when it loses everything.

It is possible that a virus could cause this kind of behavior. Do a complete virus and spyware scan to be sure. But 99% of the time it is mechanical and your only option is to replace the hard drive.

Source(s): 18 years in computer IT support and repair

It sounds, to me, such as you have have been given an over-heating issue. do away with the part of your computing device case and verify that the followers are working. (you're able to as properly see one on purely right of the CPU (mandatory Processing Unit), the video card (in case you have an further one that slots right into a pictures card slot) and doubtless a variety of of in the case itself. together as you have have been given the section off the case, take the prospect to do away with all of the dirt which you spot ... maximum of this would be on the fins of any followers contemporary. make effective that each one followers are wisely related too. the only on purely right of the CPU would are turning out to be indifferent, inflicting the CPU to overheat. Your working equipment will then close down the computing device on purpose to postpone the existence of the CPU. You point out which you have not any viruses detected, yet have you ever scanned for different malware at the same time with spyware/undercover agent ware/trojans too?

Happened to me...well not exactly but a similar thing and it turned out to be a virus....my advise is that you install avast anti virus (its free on www.download.com) and try doing a system scan then

Possible Virus...