Psychotic ex claims he knows my location by tracking my mobile phone via GPS,is that really possible or legal?

Hi there, I split up with my ex in April after being together for 8 years. I made it clear that I did not want to have any contact with him. I told him I moved in with a friend in an area far from the actual area that I moved in to. I was concerned for my safety, I was fully aware of that he was completely... show more Hi there,

I split up with my ex in April after being together for 8 years. I made it clear that I did not want to have any contact with him. I told him I moved in with a friend in an area far from the actual area that I moved in to. I was concerned for my safety, I was fully aware of that he was completely against the breakup.

Since April he has been phoning me, but I have not spoken to him or replied to any of his text messages, until last week. He text me claiming that he knew where I live. He explained that by having my number he could track my location via GPS. I asked him to tell me where I live but he refused to say my actual address or area, so I thought it was just bs and continued to ignore him.

He phoned me early this morning, I was asleep and picked the phone up without checking the caller ID, it was him and I asked him why he can't just leave me alone. I also told him I thought it was silly of him to try to scare me by lying about knowing where I am, he then described things nearby my house and certain letters in the name of my street without actually telling me the whole address.

It could have been a lucky shot but I doubt it, it would be too much of a coincidence, but Im not sure.

So, is this legal, is it true that he can track my location without my consent and if its all done via GPS is it possible to disable it on the handset (Ive got a 3, Skype phone)?

He hasnt directly threatened me but I dont feel safe, so what are my options? I want to change my number but Im worried that if I do he will lose it and if its true, if he does know where I live I cant predict the outcome of the confrontation when he come to find me. He is unpredictable and has a violent and threatening side to him.

Im really at lost to what to do here and any advice would be greatly appreciated.