Booster/toddler carseat frustration!?

Okay so they say use a foward facing carseat until 4 yrs old and 40 lbs, and then go to a booster. Problem is my daughter just turned 2 this month and she is 40 lbs and 3'4 tall. I have a foward facing carseat for her but she BARELY fits in it. I told someone and they said booster seats are illegal if... show more Okay so they say use a foward facing carseat until 4 yrs old and 40 lbs, and then go to a booster.
Problem is my daughter just turned 2 this month and she is 40 lbs and 3'4 tall. I have a foward facing carseat for her but she BARELY fits in it. I told someone and they said booster seats are illegal if she's under 4 yrs old, but she barely fits in the foward carseat anymore, her weight is fine, but she's too tall for the straps. what do I do here?!
Update: She isnt fat at all, she's slim, she's just really tall...
Update 2: See we had the same problem with the first! You said "1 yr old and 20 lbs" but at 9 months old she was too tall for her newborn carseat and we couldnt get her in it, and 20 lbs. not 1 yr. at that time we got her a convertable carseat, but I cant find any like that for this. All of the backless carseats... show more See we had the same problem with the first! You said "1 yr old and 20 lbs" but at 9 months old she was too tall for her newborn carseat and we couldnt get her in it, and 20 lbs. not 1 yr. at that time we got her a convertable carseat, but I cant find any like that for this. All of the backless carseats seem to be too short for her.. I wasnt her size till i was 6. but then again Trends dont run in my family. My mom is 5'6 and my dad is 5'8 and my sisters dad is 6'2. Im 5'2 and my sister is 5'0. and then Hollie, she is just sooo tall for her age! its unpredictable! Dx. I was small, so i dont know how to deal with this. I was in a foward facing carseat until I was 7!
Update 3: Okay, ALL of those I have found I have not found ONE that fits her under 70 dollars, I dont have any way of getting that much money! Im low income, I dont even have my OWN car.. we only make 533 a month BEFORE bills, I need something AFFORDABLE, one of thouse links was 179 dollars, it would take me 2 years to save... show more Okay, ALL of those I have found I have not found ONE that fits her under 70 dollars, I dont have any way of getting that much money! Im low income, I dont even have my OWN car.. we only make 533 a month BEFORE bills, I need something AFFORDABLE, one of thouse links was 179 dollars, it would take me 2 years to save that much!
Update 4: she doesnt fit it as in, the harnesses are in the top slot, and I cant get her in without it forcing down her shoulders.