Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 9 years ago

Can I be forced to sell my jointly-owned home to pay off debt?

If I owe debt to the student loans company (post 1998 'new style loan'), can I be forced to sell a jointly-owned home to pay it off? I'm not married, and live with my partner in a house we both own. Surely she can't be forced to sell her home to pay off my debt?


I'm in the UK.

5 Answers

  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

    Yes and no. Firstly, you should be paying ti back directly out of wages anyway.

    Anyway, a court could order you to sell your share of the home to pay the debt. However, this process is enormously complex, as your loan is unsecured.

    They won't do this though, as they can't force your wife to sell, and no buyer will buy half a home.

  • 9 years ago

    Student Loans were always unsecured. I don't know whether that is true now. Also, they didn't kick in until you were earning over a certain amount of money. Make sure you are eligible to pay and they aren't wrongly charging you!

    Check the paperwork you signed when you took out the Loan/s.

    You need to talk to the Student Loans company and come to some arrangement to pay the debt. If you have other debts and you are really struggling, go and see the CAB and get one of their Debt Counsellors to help you.

  • 9 years ago

    Contact the Citizens Advice Bureau but I don't think they can force you to sell the home, as far as I am aware the student loan is automatically taken off your salary through NI contributions.

  • 9 years ago

    If you owe debt, you should be forced to pay it back. Taking a loan means you have to pay it back. What part is unclear?

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

    Unless you and your partner entered into debt jointly and it could be proved , your partner cannot be forced to sell.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.