Daniel asked in PetsReptiles · 1 decade ago

Silverfish in my Snake tank, little help?

Hi, I was cleaning out my corn snakes tank this morning, when I found several silverfish hiding under the woodchips. We have a lot of them in the flat I live in, and ofcourse I only see them at night. I got the snake of someone who couldn't look after it anymore about a year ago, and thats when they started showing up in large numbers then, so I guess they must have been brought in with the tank. Now, I have never noticed them before within the tank, so I would just like to know if they pose any danger to the snake itself, apart ofcourse from attracting larger insects like House Centipedes. The snake itself is a couple years old, and seems to be healthy so I'm not too worried at the moment, but would just like to know if this is a problem I should address now. (I will be cleaning out the tank soon anyway, but I can't guarentee I'll get rid of all the pests).

Thanks if you help me out, much appreciated.

Thanks for the help man, I don't seem to be able to reply to your answer, so I'll thank you this way :)

Favorite Answer

The snake should be fine, silverfish would be more of a nuisance than a threat to your snake. Just clean out the tank really good and keep an eye out in case the silverfish return, they seem to be attracted to wood. They are no danger to your snake unless there are tons of them in it's tank where it will stress it out but other than that no worries.

Source(s): snake breeder