ijeoma asked in TravelAsia PacificTaiwan · 1 decade ago

teaching english abroad 2010 - japan? korea? china? taiwan?

out of those destinations (japan, korea, taiwan, china) what is the best place to find entry job? and what is the best place to save money? how much can you expect to save in each of those countries?

my friend just got MSc in software development. he can teach it/programming and english plus i think he gor online tefl. i also need to mention that he has British passport (been here for ages) but he was not born here.

thank you guys. cheers.

Favorite Answer

I have been in Taiwan for 3 years now and I think it's the best place for an easy life. And now, being the time of my return to Europe, I feel really sick and scared because I know the easy life with no problems, no worries and a good amount of money coming every month is almost gone.

I have never been to Korea or Japan, but I can give you some basic info on the salaries and the money you spend per month here.

A fulltime teacher who works mornings and afternoons (cca 20-25hrs per week) in a kindergarten earns around NT60.000. ESL classes usually finish at 4 or 5pm, so than you still have plenty of time. The days are really long here, you'll not get in the bed before midnight. That's why many foreigners work evenings as well, That means another 20.000 for evening classes. This has been my case (I used to work26hrs per week), but I know people who work harder, have some private classes and can make around 100.000. it's up to you, depends if you want to work hard or just take it easy.

Regarding your expenses: we pay 10.000 for our apartment plus the energies, the food is really cheap (lunch boxes for NT50, restaurant meals for 100 and up), I don't even cook here, because it's easier to buy food out. Everything is so convenient here, I really suggest you to try Taiwan, I just love it here. Clothing and shoes are super cheap here, especially when compared to the prices in Europe. We are a couple, can't tell you how much money we save every month but I believe it might be around 1000 eur each.

if you have any further questions, ask anytime.

• A. T.

I was curious about teaching in all of these places too (and Hong Kong) and visited all of them over the last 10 years keeping an eye and an ear open for the conditions and opportunities. I also checked a few ESL/EFL websites and read what others had to say about teaching in those places, and the general consensus still seems to be:

1. Japan

2. China (including Hong Kong)

3. Taiwan

4. Korea

I don't know about china, Korea or japan. But I know a lot of friends who have taught English in Taiwan. Overall they said it's a good easy way to make money. And since living cost in Taiwan is relatively low compares to like living cost in Canada or US, you can actually make quite a lot of money by simply teaching English.

I've heard some good reports about teaching ESL in Korea and Japan. Conditions there appear to meet your desired situation.

@A.T. - Good response, Alan. Have you decided to stop destroying things as a means to make better ones?

Source(s): WNL

Hello there! I'm from the Philippines, and I'm already here in the Philippines! well, in ASIA i would love to visit Japan, coz i want to see some fun stuffs there!

btw, just cuz the living cost in a country is low doesnt mean u'll "have a lotta money there".

low living cost=low wages.