Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 9 years ago

Do you normally pronounce "pen" and "pin" differently?

Also, where are you from?

I pronounce them the same about 50% of the time.

Here's a map of the pin-pen merger:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pin-pen.svg

"The merger of pin and pen in Southern American English. In the purple areas, the merger is complete for most speakers. Note the exclusion of the New Orleans area, of Georgia's and South Carolina's "Low Country" area. Based on Labov, Ash, and Boberg 2006: 68."

• Mel
    Favorite Answer

Yes. I'm from Massachusetts.

Edit: That's really interesting. Sort of like the "merry" "Mary" and "marry" one. Some places pronounce those all the same, some, all different, and others a bit of both.

CAN and can't are in American English stated the comparable - the only distinction (for sure) is the contraction 'T interior the tip which shows the unfavourable. won't have the ability to is short for can not and is basically CAN T. some those with accents do pronounce them in a diverse way, and that they may be acceptable however the frequently happening way is to spell and pronounce them the comparable.

Slightly. I never noticed it before. It almost sounds like pyen when I say pen, but really quickly so it's not noticeable. Pin is just pin.

I'm from Georgia.

Lmao, sir. You've made me realize that I say "Pen" with a Southern accent and "pin" with a Northern. That's the only difference. Thanks for letting me learn something new about myself.

• M ♡

Yes... clearly, whoever created the English language wanted them to be pronounced differently.

A little tiny bit different, but it's probably not noticeable by anyone...sometimes I don't even notice the difference.

I'm from Washington state.

Yea, I pronounce them differently. Im from Arizona.

Yes.

Los Angeles.

yes. Washington DC

I pronounce them differently, Michigan.

I'm from Alabama and i pronounce them the same (even though it's incorrect)