Why do people assume Yankee fans are band-wagoners when the Yankees are having a great game?

So Arod, Posada, and Grandy Man hits a home run and I commented on it, and right away this guy thinks that either I don't live in NY or a big band-wagoner. What's the deal with that? Aren't Yankee fans allowed to have fun without these idiots judging on people? They have to get all bitter and annoyed at the fact that the Yankees are the best team in baseball and hittin' them outah here like crazy. So what? Is that a big deal? If the Pirates hit 3 homers in an inning and they get excited, do we come to believe that they are not from pittsburgh, or a Pirates band-wagoner? No, because the Pirates suck.

People are just plain stupid. I swear to God.

Reala - I live in Brooklyn now. I never left NY. Why is that so hard to believe? Is that such a big deal that I live in NY? Is there a better place I should move to? WTF?

Bond: very mature

Best Answer

Dude people are shmucks what are you gonna do? Plus as soon as you posted that, KC got 2 runs, so try to hold your excitement till after the game is over. There's nothing wrong with living in NY. I'm from NYC too and for some retarded reason people think that it's a crime to live in NY and be a Yankee fan, or they're just bandwagoners, whatever, you know? screw em. just be happy for the Yankees, but hold your comments till AFTER the game ends.

The reason why everyone thinks Yankee fans are band-wagoners is because there are guys (and gals) all over that live no where near New York, have never seen New York, and maybe watch a couple baseball games a year that are Yankee fans. Those people just think that it's cool to be a Yankee fan, so they say they are. Now, if you live in New York and you've been a Yankees fan since you were born, and you watch their games, you're not a band wagoner, you're a loyal fan.

Also, most people just hate the Yankees (mainly because they beat their team all the time) and that makes them hate their fans too.

Because people don't think it's OK to cheer for teams other than your hometown team. I was born and raised 20 minutes outside of Boston, and am therefore classified as a "Bandwagon fan" of the Yankees. Only problem? My entire family is from NY. Myself and my younger sister were the only ones not born there. When I was young, I just cheered for whatever team Mom and Dad cheered for, just like ANY OTHER KID. Now that I'm older, I've continued cheering for that team. Doesn't matter to me, I know I'm a real fan.

To be fair, when a team succeeds, it breeds jealousy. Also it doesn't help that bandwagon jumpers are attracted as well so when a fan shows up, it seemed too good to be true for some people.

I was like that to the Bulls in the MJ era, not going to make that same mistake again (Man I hope Derrick Rose leads the Bulls to the championship win one day).

Few years ago I decided that if I managed to survive being a fan of the Giants after their dreadful 2003-2004 season, why not? It helped me as a fan of a certain team in 2008 where injuries messed them up, losing Wang hurts the most (no pun intended).

Anything can happen so who knows?

Because Yankee fans have a bad reputation is why. Actually, if you don't live in NY, the chances of you being a bandwaggoner is high, so they assume it.

I'm doubting the Yankees will be the best in baseball for long. September isn't always good for them.

I'm an Indians fan so I don't figure on the Indians being in the hunt for a long time, but I'm rooting for the Rays to take the East.

Bandwagoners just like the yanks because they're good, and don't know much about the team. I'm a yankee fan, but I know all the players, how good they are, etc. I personally don't like bandwagoners.

No offense but it sounds like you are the bitter one. You seem to hate other teams and their fans, and you and other Yankee fans seem desperate to hold on to the 2009 Yankees as your trophy because you know they are not the same as in the glory days in the 90's and years before that. Probably if some of you Yankee people were actually true fans, as opposed to haters of other teams, people would respect you guys more. I mean Cubs fans, Indians fans, Cardinal fans and many other are regarded as the best fans in baseball for a reason. Many times Yankee fans can't or won't admit when another team is better then theirs, they always have to feel that their team is the best every year even when it's clearly not the case. I mean I heard some Yankee fans saying that the 2009 Yankees were the best team ever...I mean if that is not insecurity and a whole bunch of BS I don't know what is. The reality is, and Yankee fans seem to HATE reality sometimes, but the reality is next to the Cardinals of 2006, the 2009 New York Yankees were the weakest World Series CHampionship team in the whole last decade, and the 1996 Yankees were the worst World Series winning team or even World Series team period in the last 20 years. But the Yankee fans cannot and are very scared to admit that, because they cannot stand not being seen as the best. I thought whoever thinks the 2009 Yankees are in the top 10 let alone the best team in hostory, is CLEARLY biased and ignorant of Baseball and doesn't care about all the variables and other factors that may come into play in deciding a ballgame. Like for example, They complained in 2005 when the Angels beat the Yanks in the ALDS that A-Rod Choked and didn't perform to his best ability and gave no credit to the Angels beating Him fair and square, BUT last year when Ryan Haward had his poor Performance in the World Series, all the Yanks fans were saying is how wonderful the Yankees were is shutting down Ryan Howard, when ironically in that situation, it was Ryan Howard that chocked and underachieved, and there is evidence for that. You don't become NLCS MVP and a week later strike out 13 times without it being a personal collapse on the part of Ryan Howard primarily and not so much the effort of the Yankees that did it. We have to use Logic and analyse things when trying to determine who is the best team or who would win in a best of 7 series like I have asked many times in my questions. I find alot of Yankee fans by IMPULSE always rush and say that any Yankee is the best, especially the 1998 and 1927 Yankees, without giving even alittle though as to all the variables that could happen. I give respect teams Including the Yankees, and I tell it like it is, I know they are good, but for goodness sake folks lets be honest,they are not THAT good as Yankee and'or ignorant "baseball fans" make them out to be. Anything can happen in baseball, and any team in history can beat any team in history, because of the unpredictability of it. I think that is the main reason many people don't like Yankee fans, and also why many intelligent knowledgable and wise baseball fans don't like how many ( NOT ALL) Yankee fans view and see baseball and their team, and how they don't give any respect or credit to other teams when due!! Thats something to think about. I am all about trying to see things rationally and thinking rationally and analyzing situations before rushing into conclusions.

Because they think that the word "some" means exactly the same as the word "all", as in "some yankee fans are bandwagon fans" means the same as "all yankee fans are bandwagon fans." Must have failed english class because last time I checked "some" does not mean the same as "all".

Unless you live in NY or on the NY border or Connecticut, there is a 99.9% chance of being a band wagon fan.

• 6

The same reason people call Rays fans bandwagon. No good reason. It's the only thing people can come up with to try and insult you.