? asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

Requirements for 15 year old owning Pellet Gun over 500 fps in Canada?

What are the requirements for a 15 year old to have a Air Rifle/Pellet Gun over 500 fps in Canada?

I heard that you need a PAL to shoot with it and a firearms licence to hunt with it. I'm not going to hunt with it but just target practice shooting. Is it possible for a 15 year old to have a PAL? Or a parent or guardian to have one and let me shoot with it?

Basically what I'm asking is, what are the requirements for a 15 year old to have a pellet gun over 500 fps in Canada? And how can I find and purchase one in Canada (my parents would purchase not me)?

Thanks for your help and good answers please.

Favorite Answer

Hey, Im in Canada and its never stopped me from shooting and Im 16. At 15 you can take the firearms safety course, and if you pass you may get a minors permit which allows you to handle firearms by yourself and purchase ammo when you turn 16. Although, you will need to be 18 to attain your actual PAL which lets you buy firearms. So unless a parent has a PAL and can buy a firearm for you to shoot your outta luck until your 18.

On another note, you only need to be 18 to purchase airguns that are under 500 fps. And you can get a .22 caliber pellet gun that goes 495 fps (This will allow you to take small game such as squirrels from close enough range) Im 16 and I have bought over 5 firearms (Gamo pellet gun, Remington 870, Ruger 10/22, Remington 700, and a Savage Edge 30-06) I bought them all with my money using my dads PAL, and since I have my minors permit I can handle them by myself.

If you have not passed your firearms safety course, heres some info on how to get it.

http://www.terranovafirm.com/

If you have that, apply for your minors permit here

http://www.ontariofirearmssafetyacademy.ca/Minors....

you are able to desire to have a possession and aquisition license to very own a pellet rifle that produces better than 500 fps muzzle velocity and four.2 feet-lbs of muzzle capability. So the standards may be the comparable as those for possessing the different gun which demands a chum.

You have to have a possession and aquisition license to own a pellet rifle that produces more than 500 fps muzzle velocity and 4.2 ft-lbs of muzzle energy. So the requirements would be the same as those for owning any other gun which requires a PAL.

• Mr.357

This is so sad. You can walk into any store that carries air rifles in the US, purchase one and then give it to any one that you want to. Firearms are similar. There are a few restrictions on who you can give it to. You should move south. The weather is warmer and we have a few personal rights left. In some of the states, a 10 year old can own semi-auto firearms with no permit or license required and there are no restrictions on possession or use.

hey mr.357 that why canada is a better country not just any idiot can buy guns and to answer your question nything over 500fps you need an FAC for atlest in my province cuz its in my book that i read to challenge the test for my FAC so one of your parents will have to write the test and pass i think with a 75% cant remember dont need to either i got 100% which i never have gotten on a test before so you can tell its easy mostly common sense