J asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 years ago

Is it "Das Leben ist kurz" or "Leben ist kurz"?

Guten Tag! I'm learning German on my own.

What is "Life is short" in German? Is it "Das Leben ist kurz" or "Leben ist kurz"?

In English, "the" does not always precede a noun. Zum Beispiel, "life is unfair." But there is "the" in "this is the life that I want."

In German, how would I know whether a noun needs to be preceded by "the" or not?

Best Answer

"Das Leben ist kurz"

Source(s): native

nope in German you practically always put "the" in front of a noun.

So it's "Das Leben ist kurz"

Source(s): Live in Germany, been learning german for 6 years
  • curd

for the comparable reason human beings pose their questions as abbreviations, with all styles of undesirable spelling, like "Ppl plz hlp i hv 2 pass 2 daktor for a fluu sht. i do in comparison to pane what shud i do?" Now, i've got not seen this particular question yet, yet it is extremely regular of questions I see the two right here, and in computers. It makes my eyes harm, and that i think like throwing up everywhere in the keyboard as quickly as I see a query like this! (and that i tell them to learn how to spell, and end making use of abbreviations. yet, ICU8DBBQ.I8sm2 ;-}

• ?

With das :)