t k asked in Science & MathematicsMathematics · 1 decade ago

questions about statistics independent variables where none of it is significant?

i need help on my statistics assignment on conclusion and recommendation part... my problem is all the independent variables has no significant differences... i dot know how to write a conclusions and recommendations part of the assignment...i did consult my lecturer yesterday but i cant talk much with him as hes was on his way to a meeting ... all he said is that based on my result it is possible to such result for the independent variables ... and he also told me it is because of he model is weak based on the R square and adjusted R square value.... all i learn in class is there is at least one independent variables that is significant but now i got this results where all the independent variables area all not significant and i don't know how to interpret it... can someone give me some ideas for the conclusion and recommendations part of my assignment?

the assignment is about being a consulting firm for an investment holding company. They are thinking of diversifying into growth stocks. Thus, they have appointed your group to investigate the key factors which are significant in driving the performance of companies. In the report, your group is expected to present a summary of your analysis including key statistical results, conclusions and recommendations to those investors who want to make an investment in a company.

so the results that i got is ;

i) Coefficient of Determination (R2) = 0.3715, 37.15% of total variation in the ROA of the companies can be explained by the variation of the six independent variables. There is about 62.85% of unexplained variation. The model is considered to be a weak model.

ii) Adjusted coefficient of Determination (Adj. R2) = -0.1672, 16.72% of total variation in the ROA of the companies can be explained by the variation of the six independent variables after taking into account the sample size and number of independent variables. There is about 83.28% of unexplained variation. The model is considered to be a weak model.

ROA of the companies = Return on Assets = 0.111 (Intercept ) -3.963(Net Sales) + 1.405 (Operating Expenses) +1.357 (Cash from Operating Activities) +2.008 (Total Assets) -2.365 (Total of Common Shareholders’ Equity) -1.227 ( Dividends Paid)

Hypothesis Testing

H0= There is no significant relationship between X1 and ROA Y1

H1 = There is significant relationship between X1 and ROA Y1

X1 = Variable 1-7

Test Statistic

Net Sales = 0.671 > = 0.05 not significant: do not reject H0

Operating Expenses = 0.959 > = 0.05 not significant: do not reject H0

Cash from Operating Activities = 0.648 > = 0.05 not significant: do not reject H0

Total Assets = 0.526 > = 0.05 not significant: do not reject H0

Total of Common Shareholders’ Equity = 0.475 > = 0.05 not significant: do not reject H0

Dividends Paid = 0.949 > = 0.05 not significant: do not reject H0

None of the six independent variables have significant relationship with ROA

the conclusions should be about statistics theory in general not about accounting or anything else

....conclusions and recommendations

oh forgot to mentions this is on multiple regression chapter

Favorite Answer

I think the inverted investment scheme of the mutually co-operated association has some demand for the equity management sector w.r.t the raised market funds as provided by the union established for investment relation affairs.