Can someone explain to me about "ALANON"!?

I know about AA, "info PLEASE"!!

Favorite Answer

Heavy Heart gave a good explanation. It's a place to go to be with "your own kind." Everything is confidential. You don't have to talk if you don't want to. Meetings are held every where and often. I've been to AA meetings on a Saturday night where the family members go to the Al-Anon meeting and the alcoholic goes to the AA meetings in the same building. You learn techniques to deal with this family problem and how not to be an enabler or co-dependent, etc., that you didn't make your loved one drink, it's not your responsibility, you shouldn't feel guility or ashamed. By the way, the AA meetings I've gone to are usually packed. I got the following from the Al-Anon web site.

How will Al-Anon help me?

Many who come to Al-Anon/Alateen are in despair, feeling hopeless, unable to believe that things can ever change. We want our lives to be different, but nothing we have done has brought about change. We all come to Al-Anon because we want and need help.

In Al-Anon and Alateen, members share their own experience, strength, and hope with each other. You will meet others who share your feelings and frustrations, if not your exact situation. We come together to learn a better way of life, to find happiness whether the alcoholic is still drinking or not.

Alanon is group therapy for people who know or are related to an acloholic. You basicaly get advice on how to deal with an alcoholic from other people in the meeting.

Like the above persons said, Al-anon provides an opportunity, for those closest to the addict, to have their own form of support from others who have a loved one with an addiction. It's a positive experience being that a lot of persons with an addiction lack family support due to either the family members being addicts themselves or having a lack of understanding on what the addict is going through. I'd say if recovery is going to work for you (hypothetically) it's important to have people in your corner to help you through and one way for them to be fully present is for them to develop an understanding on what you're going through. Thus, Al-Anon was created in order for that to happen. Addiction affects the whole family and not just the addict.

Source(s): Here is a site about Al-Anon and Alateen. http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/english.html

This is a group that helps friends and family members of alcoholics, they teach them how to deal with them.