Which pistol is better the M9 or the 1911 handgun?

I'm looking to purchase a new handgun, I already own a Glock 19, Glock 22, Baretta Tikka T3 Tactical Rifle, and a Benelli M4 semi- automatic shotgun, now I'm deciding whether I purchase the M9 or the 1911 pistol, what do you think?

Beretta* and to the freak show i use both my benelli and rifle for hunting different game. The pistols are purely for target shooting and were given to me by my grandfather who is a former Paratrooper in the Korean War and a Green Beret in the Vietnam War.

Favorite Answer

You can never go wrong with a good 1911. They both have their pros can cons but the 1911 has more pros.

1911 Pros:

Everybody makes them.

.45 ACP stopping power.

Compact models

Hi cap models with up to 13-15 round magazines (7or8 is standard)

They are very comfortable

Lower recoil than most .45 due to weight

You can buy light weight models

You can buy almost anything you want for it.

There is an endless ammount of custom parts.

You can easily conceal carry a full size because it is flatter than an M9

Its been around for 100 years.

Parts are cheaper because everyone makes them.

Magazines are always easy to load.

1911 cons:

Typically less rounds than M9.

Ammo is more expensive.

A little harder to take apart.

M9 Pros:

Typically holds more rounds than a 1911.

It is double action (can shoot without the hammer being back if a round is in the chamber)

It comes apart easy.

Ammo is cheaper

M9 Cons:

Double action (you have to pay more attention)

Parts aren't as cheap.

It comes apart easier. Just watch a (Jackie Chan movie)

You get what you pay for. (not much customization)

Magazines are harder to load the more you put in.

Added info:

I haven't met anyone that likes them M9 more than the 1911. Almost everyone loves the 1911. People like the M9 but it doesn't have nearly the following that the 1911 has. In a self defense situation you would never come close to shooting all 15 rounds of the M9. 5 rounds shot would even be a lot. For target shooting I have always loved shooting larger calibers. I like my 9mm (not an M9) but not as much. I like it because the ammo is cheaper. My friend had the Beretta 90-2 (pretty much an M9) and I liked it better than my 9mm but both of us loved our 1911s WAY more.

Source(s): Personal experience and talking to people.

Better for what?

It's spelled Beretta, not Baretta, and I'm pretty sure the Tikka is made by Sako anyway.

Both Glocks you supposedly have accomplish roughly the same think an M9 does.

I would add an imaginary 1911 to round out your imaginary collection.

The 1911 will be a fun change from the weapons you already have and the m9 is more of the same “with a twist” I would say the .45 is your best bet. Never heard of someone pawning it cause they hated it. I have heard lots of sour m9 owners. But its personal taste so go shoot a friends and see for yourself. For personal difference it’s the 45 by a landslide 60 percent of people shot in the chest by police with a 9mm ball round die before they get to the hospital. 90-97 (under debate) percent of people shot by police using .45 die before they make it to the hospital. (data on the subject is very debatable because people a seldom shot only once during shooting {justified or otherwise}) there are loads of bunny trail data to be debated. go to a crouded gun shop and ask (make sure you’re not in a hurry :) good luck

Source(s): loads of training with both. usmc

I have to question anybody who lists a Baretta and wants to own an M9. Who do you think you're fooling?

-While the BEretta 92 f has some wonderful options like DA/SA and a large magazine capacity the size inhibits it due to the caliber. I actually own one.

I would go with a 1911 depending on the manufacturer. ie; Les Brown, Colt, Kimber and(maybe) Springfield. Never Taurus and STI I'm not sure of.

OH!!! you are talking about airsoft guns! then it doesn't matter.

I prefer the 1911, but it all depends upon you and your preferences. If you are planning on firing a high number of rounds, the M9 will save you some money.

• Jacob

m9 is ok. 1911 is way better.

1911 by far