Logan asked in PetsDogs · 10 years ago

About how big should a 6 month old 3/4 timber wolf 1/4 alaskan malamute hybrid be?

My dog Chief is a wolf hybrid and is 6 months old and I was curious if he is on track right now for how big he should be at this age. At the moment he weighs somewhere between 40-45 lbs. Does anyone know if that's about right for a hybrid like Chief, and also does anyone know about how big I should expect him to get?

I feed Chief Blue Buffalo dog food, which I've been told is one of the best available due to its lack of fillers and high protein content. I also exercise him regularly and train him as much as I can. I have taken the steps to properly socialize him not only with all different types of dogs, but also with different people of many different ages and races. He is well behaved and I just want an idea for how big my little man is going to get.

Favorite Answer

Why don't you ask the "breeder" of this hybrid?

They would know better than the average dog owner since I can guarantee almost no one here owns a hybrid.

• Cheryl

Alaskan Malamutes' ears are typically erect by the time they are 4 months old. Some do take longer, especially if they are going to be abnormally large (common among BYB Malamutes). Some ears stand normally until the dog begins teething, and then one or both will drop during that process (I think the theory has something to do with calcium being directed away from the ear cartilage during this time). Your dog should be about done with teething, however, and this shouldn't be the case. I have also seen certain BYB/pet kennels breeding Malamutes whose ears never completely stand. This is a serious fault. So I guess my point is that it comes down to how well-bred your Malamute is. At 6 months, however, I'd be concerned. You might try supplementing her diet with calcium. Good luck!

• Kumi

You should keep in mind that about 99.9% of people who have "wolf hybrids"... actually don't. For one, wolf/dog mating rarely if ever occurs on it's own. And it seems like everyone under the sun with a Husky mix is "calling wolf", so to speak.

So unless you personally know the wolf grandparent of your animal, I have my doubts.

But anyway. It's impossible to say for sure how big (or not big) your pup will end up. I imagine the only thing you can really do for reference is assume it'll be somewhere between the size of an actual Gray wolf (AKA Timber wolf) if you truly believe your dog's a wolfdog. Some sizing info:

"The length of the Eastern timber wolf generally varies from 150 cms to 180 cms. (This length includes the tail.) Their height varies from 65 cms to 85 cms. The male timber wolves are larger than the females. On an average, the Eastern timber wolf can weigh up to 45 kilograms."

Between that and the average size of a purebred Alaskan Malamute:

"The American Kennel Club (AKC) breed standard calls for a natural range of size, with a desired freighting size of 23 inches (584 mm) and 75 pounds (34 kg) for females, 25 inches (635 mm) and 85 pounds (39 kg) for males. Heavier individuals (90 lb (41 kg)) and dogs smaller than 75 pounds (34 kg) are commonly seen."

But as I said, it's impossible to actually know for sure. Your dog would likely be between there, but in all reality, it could just as easily wind up a bit bigger or smaller than either of those. It's just the luck of the draw.

You don't have a wolf hybrid.

People who were seriously involved with hybrids and their care would not be asking random strangers about their size - they would discuss such a thing with the breeder or original sanctuary.