Gloss or Satin finish?

Which finish will give my kitchen cabinets more depth and richness? I'm going to use Minwax Mahogany with either satin or gloss finish.

Favorite Answer

Satin finish hides any small imperfections in the wood or finish. It also give a hand rubbed look that is much more classic that a gloss. I use all the time for my woodworking projects.

By the way, a satin finish is just as easy to clean as a gloss finish. Satin varnish is not like a satin wall paint that can be porous and hard to clean.

You might want to try the Minwax wipe on polyurethane. It is really easy to use and gives a brush free finish.

Source(s): lifetime woodworker

Gloss because the shine gives it richness. Mahogany is a beautiful color and you want the cabinets to stand out. Velvet is covering too much of the wood's imperfections. the imperfections is what it makes the cabinets look like REAL wood and natural.

Of those two choices I would pick satin. I personally do not care for a gloss finish on kitchen cupboards. You want something without all that shine as the shinier the finish, the more fingerprints will show.

I have to go to sleep !

Depth and richness are not a consideration. Ease of cleaning says gloss.