how much time will you serve for Grand Theft?

my boyfriend serving time for Grand Theft and now he has a pending case in Long beach ca. for Grand theft, he is currently serving his FIRST charge in Wasco State Prison. he has done 3 almost 4 months already, he sent me a paper to get a trial for the SECOND charge in Long Beach it said 8 Months, im guessing he is trying to DEMAND a trial? im so LOST PLEASE HELP ME!

Favorite Answer

California Law

Grand Theft Auto can be charged under two different laws:

* If Grand Theft Auto is charged under California Penal Code Section 487(d), it is always charged as a felony. As a felony, the sentencing range will be 16 months, 2 years or 3 years in a state prison. Besides jail, a conviction may also require parole of 3 years or formal probation.

* If, however, the Grand Theft Auto is charged under California Vehicle Code Section 10851 (Vehicle Theft) and there are no prior convictions, it can be charged as a misdemeanor with less of a penalty. Misdemeanor sentencing is up to a year in county jail and may involve 3 years of informal probation along with restitution, fines and community service.

depends i guess and how old are you? i know my friend was a senior in highschool [she was 18] a few years back and her and some of my other friends [ranging in ages of 15 - 20] had stolen from macys in the mall and i think they each stole around 500 dollers worth of merchandise and had to pay a fine but didn't get any jail time.

I'm sure the time will just fly by. Just think of all of the new "friends" he's meeting & the educational opportunities there are to die for!