what does it mean when someone proudly displays the Confederate flag?

for example, on a Shirt or anywhere else.

Favorite Answer

I have my own opinion that I have expressed many times. It represents:

1. Slavery

2. A broken and defeated and extinct nation

3. Jim Crow laws that were enacted and enforced under this flag (which by the way had to extracted by the US Supreme court because the legislatures of the south REFUSED to remove the patently racist and unconstitutional laws)

4. Proudly waived by the KKK

I have also said that to me flying a confederate flag is every bit as repulsive as a Nazi flag flying in Germany, but unlike Germany, we have the right to express opinions regardless of how hideous or idiotic the Confederate flag waivers look.

Source(s): Opinion, based on years of study of US history

Some people do it b/c they are racist. But I have sold confederate flag memorbilla (buckles, wallets, tshirts) to black people and people from the south when I worked in a western store. The confederate flag is the state flag of Mississippi where I think the majority of race is african american. So for some it's supporting the confederacy and for some it just represents where their from.

• R

Some of my family members do this. I think of it as "Southern Pride". It doesn't have anything to do with promoting slavery from what I've seen, it's just a symbol of the South.

It's never on shirts, though. Maybe a mug or something.

I think many people do it to piss other people off. And it works so well, lol! It is a form of backlash against the oppression of non wealthy whites. A non violent backlash. That's a good thing, right? But can it stay that way if things don't change for the better soon?

Depends on who is doing the displaying.

Those who find it offensive are the same who support the Mosque at ground zero.

They should understand that a mosque at ground zero means that they need to pipe down about the CFS banner.

The mosque is a default license to fly the stars and bars atop the tallest building in town without complaint.

• Brian

I live in the deep south and it can mean several things...but most likely it's just a symbol of tradition old school southern pride/heritage. Just like any symbol though, you will always have those militant zealots who will use it as a sign of oppression.

Southern Heritage and Southern Pride

And to ANY Ignorant Morons who claim it's racist Learn History Before you rant , Look Up the Fact that the war was Not over Slavery war Started 1861 Freeing of Slaves 1863 Look up also the fact that Not all slaves were freed Only ones of States in Rebellion against the Union , Also look Up Lincoln Letter to Horace Greeley in which He said that He didn't care about the slaves all He wanted to do was Preserve the Union

Source(s): History

What does it mean when someone proudly displays the American Flag?

Patriotism and Heritage

confederate flag is from the south

• Me

The South will rise again!

Lol!