Do you think I am eligible for TPS?

Hello,

I am an haitian national who lives in Buffalo New York since after the earthquake in Haiti and I am interested in applying for the TPS .. As I travelled every year in the states, I wonder if I am elligible for TPS ... because I wasn't there in the states before january 12th, but I do travel frequently in the US since 2003. Do you think I am eligible ? because the note on USCIS says people who FIRST entered the US after january 12th ..What do you think ..? Should I apply ?

Favorite Answer

Who is Eligible?

You may be eligible to apply for temporary protected status if:

You are a national of a country designated for TPS. (You may also be eligible if you are a person who has no nationality but last habitually resided in a designated country.) Please see our list of countries designated for temporary protected status.

You apply for TPS during the specified registration period. The registration period is stated in Federal Register notices of designation and is also generally noted in USCIS press releases. For specific Federal Register notice cites, please see our list of countries currently designated for temporary protected status.

You have been continuously physically present in the United States since the TPS designation began, or since the effective date of the most recent re-designation. For dates of specific country designations, please see our list of countries designated for temporary protected status.

You have continuously resided in the United States since the date specified in the Federal Register notice of designation. This date may be different than the effective date of the TPS designation.

You are admissible as an immigrant and are not otherwise ineligible for TPS. Applicable grounds of inadmissibility and bases for ineligibility are specified in CFR 244.3 and 244.4, respectively. You may also consult the instructions on USCIS Form I-821 (Application for Temporary Protected Status).

Source(s): Ask a Lawyer if unsure

I would say NO because you wasn't in the Country. you entered the US after the earthquake happen. off the DHS website

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) previously published a Federal Register Notice on Jan. 21, 2010, announcing the TPS designation of Haiti for 18 months, from Jan. 21, 2010 through July 22, 2011. The designation applies only to Haitians who have continuously resided in the United States since Jan. 12, 2010; TPS will not be granted to Haitian nationals who first entered the United States after Jan. 12, 2010. <-----READ IT!

• Jan

If you weren't here when the earthquake hit,you aren't eligible.