What does the infinity symbol mean?

im 17 and thinking about getting a tattoo of the infinity symbol just below my neck tonight, i know it means living without boundaries and living without any end type of thing, which represents to me when my mom passed away last year from cancer, it was a extremely hard thing to go through, but i did it and always... show more im 17 and thinking about getting a tattoo of the infinity symbol just below my neck tonight, i know it means living without boundaries and living without any end type of thing, which represents to me when my mom passed away last year from cancer, it was a extremely hard thing to go through, but i did it and always thought positive through it

however, im not a religious person at all, and when looking through the internet about the symbols meaning i saw alot of pages saying its a representation of religion?

is this true? what are the other meanings for this symbol? if it is commonly seen as something religious please tell me, because i wont get it