Marie
Marie asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 1 decade ago

Americans! Did you hear what the prime minister of Australia said? What are your thoughts on this?

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd - Australia

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia , as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks..

Separately, Rudd angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques. Quote:

'IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali , we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians. '

'This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom'

'We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society . Learn the language!'

'Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.'

'We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.'

'This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, 'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'.'

'If you aren't happy here then LEAVE. We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here.

Don't you wish our country had a politician like this? This man has great courage and at least he is concerned for his OWN people! What do you all say?

Favorite Answer

I was about to be really angry thinking you were against what he said, but i agree 100% with him. It's their country, and others should ADAPT! Our country should do the same. I agree full heatedly and i wish that the US would stop trying to make everyone happy ( we are failing miserably) and start sticking up for ourselves and our country. We were founded on our beliefs and our religion, and everyone who wants to come here should except it. AKA speak english, follow our laws, AND RESPECT US. The US is already critized for not having a culture, when really we did, but have had so many others infringe on it that our way of life has adapted to theirs. When really, it should be the other way around. Way to go Prime Minister Rudd, i wish our government would follow in your footsteps.

I'm British and proud to be so however, I am now living in Spain as I feel that hard working people are not being looked after back home as they should be.

I am not a burden on the Spanish economy, I receive no monetary support and pay my way (not that there would be any anyway, unlike that thrown at immigrants in the UK)

I only wish that our Prime Ministers, Future, present and past had had the backbone to say similar to Prime Minister Rudd.

I'm proud of being part of a very tolerant and welcoming country like the UK, that opens its doors to everyone...(a little too much if you ask me!) but when my country, that my grandparents fought for, gets questioned over it's political correctness towards immigrants, it makes my blood boil.

I emphasize with my American cousins.

I applaud Kevin Rudd for his honesty and convictions.

Praise God he had the courage to do that!!! I certainly wish Obama would say that kind of thing over here. Instead he has proved he has feet of clay (as a friend said) by bowing to Muslims abroad and letting them do pretty much what they want.

I applaud your prime minister. He certainly said the right things!!! Be sure to pray daily for his safety now---the muslims might try to do a bombing on him.

That's exactly what Pres. Obama (U.S.) should have said. Instead he's letting the foreigners push us around all the time. He won't even secure the borders at Mexico which needs this desperately. He just wants to agree with all the thugs the world over!

I agree with Mr. Rudd's comments completely, and Americans should adopt the same view. This does not mean we are against Islam as a religion. But we are a secular society with a secular government, and we cannot allow any set of religious laws to supersede our civil laws. If people want to live under another set of laws, then they need to live in another country.

Our great President wants every country to like him (or us) ? That he goes around bowing , kissing ***.

And all he is doing is showing them how weak ( he is).

He was suppose to get rid of racism, but instead has made it much worse! If someone is not for him, he says they are racist. Why after this would anyone ever agree with him on anything ( unless they are racist and are trying to hide it).

I just wish our Present and the Liberal government had the cojones that Kevin Rudd has!

VOTE them out in November!

• Katty

How old!

It was not Rudd (who is no longer our PM) but the PM before that (i.e. 2 PM agos) - Howard. It was said 5 years ago in response to a specific statement made by an Islamic leader there have been calls for deporting and negating his citizenship.

• Skye M

We once did have leaders of such belief but then the liberals decided we should be the ones who should bow to them. It was once very strong in this country that immigrants should learn English in fact my mom's parents refused to allow their native tongue to be spoken, they said we are Americans now we speak American English the only other language they were permitted was Latin as they were also Catholic. There was a time that we did have leaders who would say if you do not like America you can leave, but the liberals said that was harsh and bigoted but they would not consider that if we were to go to any other country we would be expected to learn their language.

• neil s

It is impossible for a country that has existed for only 200 years to have a "culture." Not the US, and not Australia. While I agree with the statements about Shariah law, that is because no religion should influence law. The US is also, and has always been, a secular nations, so the comments about Christianity don't work here. But at least he's not being mealy mouthed about it.

I don't know about the other Americans, but this one, me !, I wish our leader had the brains and courage to do the same. Of course, our Fearless Leader Obamination is pro Muslim, so he's not going to do anything but invite more of them to come immigrate here like he did Palestinians. These are dark and dangerous days now for the great United States with this jerk as our president.

Thrilled. But you also have like 1/4th of the entire world's poisonous species, plus sharks, plus 140 degrees in the shade. Plus renegade bike gangs and the Nightrider. So I'm not SUPER jealous. On the other hand, you have Abby Winters.