Do all beliefs and ideas deserve respect? Do they all deserve an equal amount of respect?

Are ideas decided on democratically?

Why and why not?

Favorite Answer

No. People deserve respect, but silly ideas are, well... just silly. So, we should respect the person, and good ideas... but not all ideas are equal.

• Mythos

Hitler apparently didn't think so.

Like he was one to talk.

My personal take on the subject is simply that if an idea has sound logic and utility behind it as well as the backing of sensible and rational people who see the logic, utility, and advantages of the idea and the will to bring it to fruition, then the idea should go forward and be respected.

If none of this applies, the people will know.

Beliefs? Well, they're another story altogether. Some very logical people can hold fast and tenaciously to some absurd beliefs.

Take Peter Singer for instance; here's an ethicist and by all accounts a very educated man who believes that primates should be afforded the same legal status as humans.

And this guy is a "respected member" of academia?

He's absurd, hands down. I do not want people like Singer having anything to do with the forming of governmental policy (although he seems to have found an audience with that wretched "New World Order" organization known as "the united Nations") or laws of this land.

People like this deserve no legitimate respect whatsoever. And atheists complain that Christians try to "force their sense of morals on the rest of us through the government"?

Please. How many nutbags like Singer should have any democratic say in what our taxpayer funded government legislates?

Conversely, I don't want the ideas of idiots like that in-bred bunch known as the "Westboro Baptists" and their "ideas" having any validation or respect , either.

0 is my answer.

No, not all ideas deserve respect. An idea based on logic, history and facts is an idea deserving of respect; an idea that needs to be heard and in some cases even studied. Also, a brand new idea is also deserving of respect if logic and actual thought was placed into it.

Crackpot ideas or illogical assumptions, even fabrications, are not worthy of respect and should be called out and ridiculed whenever they are seen.

No, some ideas deserve very little respect.

However you should avoid laughing in the face of the person proposing the idea, just common courtesy you know.

People should be treated with respect, just out of common humanity, but sometimes respect means being honest enough to tell somebody they are being foolish.

Beliefs themselves do not necessarily deserve respect, nor do the creators of the ideas. The believers do deserve respect as long as their beliefs do not affect others.

Ideas deserve respect, idea makers do not.

My answer is the opposite of Buddi's. People do NOT deserve respect, people should earn it. Ideas come with an amount of respect for being ideas, but can quickly lose it depending on the stupidity and creator of said idea.

Do as you will, but do no harm to others -- Anton LeVay

(I know that will get lots of thumbs down because of the author)

If the idea is to usurp someone's human rights, then no, no respect should be given.

No, why for example should I respect a belief in doing harm to others?

If it doesn't harm anyone, then yes. All beliefs and ideas are worthy of respect and study, but it doesn't mean you have to adhere to them or agree.

I reserve the right to discriminate when it comes to ideas as they are not created equal.