There's been some surprising Rookies again this season, do you have a rookie lighting things up on your team?

BQ: How has your best Rookie from last season performed so far this season?

Brewers Lorenzo Cain has been a great surprise, he's very new, only has played in 8 games. But he has come in with a bang, 9 H, 3 doubles, and 3 RBI. Pretty good for a start.

Last season it would have been Casey McGehee

He has similar numbers as last season, He's actually about at the same number of games this season (8 less) as last season, his BA is lower, he's at the same amount of HR, RBI, a few more hits, lower OBP. fewer H. Overall, not as good, but still an asset to the team!

Can't believe I didn't mention John Axford, another Rookie that's made an impact from the end of May.

Thanks D! :)

I know Heckler, thanks for marinating him for us.

• Big D
    Best Answer

When Neftali Feliz, the Rangers highly touted young pitcher, emerged onto onto the league last year around this time he was dominant and imposing from the start. My baseball fanatics compare his style to Pedro Martinez back when he was in his prime, a small, lean guy who could throw hard. When Neftali was given the opportunity to pitch in the bigs, I knew he was going to play a major role with the Rangers young nucleus. I was thrilled that day when the Rangers announced Feliz's promotion to the closer's role because I knew all along that he had closer's material written all over him. If you follow some Rangers games, his fastball can reach as high as triple digits. Its just amazing what he has done in shutting the door for the Rangers in big games. As a fan, I attribute his ability to our success. The only question is whether on not he will remain a starter in the years to come. He has the potential to be a front-line starter but I think for the moment it's best that he continues to thrive in his current role.

BQ: If you compare Elvis to the way he played in his rookie season, he's actually been better. His current avg. is .007 points higher than it was last season and he's already hit 13 doubles this season after finishing with 17 last season. He's also driven in 67 runs after finishing with 72 the past year. Home run numbers are down but this year he was selected to the ASG. If Elvis continues to raise his numbers before the end of the season, I'd say this year's been a better go.

Edit: Jenn, I love the fact that you've been asking a lot of questions lately. It really helps spark the place up when you do this.

Edit #2: I can't believe this. Right when I'm saying all these wonderful about Neftali, he blows the lead for the Rangers in the 9th tonight.

• ?

Starlin Castro is a star in the making. It's pretty clear to see. Everyday starter since May and has a .310 average, .360 OBP and he's only 20. Also comes up with clutch hits.

Tyler Covlin is also tearing it up. 17 Home Runs with very little play the first 2 months of the season. Needs to have better plate discipline. 1/3 of hits outs are Strikouts. Definately has the potential to hit close to 30HR's this year.

BQ: Randy Wells is pretty bad. Last year I think he was 12-9 with an ERA in the mid 3's last year, and should have had more wins but got 0 run support his first 5 starts. This He's had some great outings (I was at a game where he had a no hitter into the 7th) and he's had games where he can't get anybody out. 5-10 with an ERA in the high 4's.

Marlins

We've had a hand ful of rookies step it up this year.

1) Gabby Sanchez (.293 avg with 12 HRs)

2) Mike Stanton (.260 avg with 10 HRs in only 53 games)

3) Logan Morrison (.250 avg with 7 HRs in only 28 games)

• go now

Ernesto Frieri has slid perfectly into the Padres bullpen. 9.2 IN, 4 H, 1 R, 18 K. With Mike Adams hitting the DL (he's back now) and Ryan Webb scuffling, Frieri helped the bullpen from missing a beat.

BQ: Luke Gregerson was a great reliever last season. 93K over 75 IN and 3.24 ERA. He's done a better job this season. 0.736 WHIP over 54.1 IN, 67 K and 2.48 ERA.

With all their injuries, the Red Sox have had to rely on several rookies, Darnell McDonald, Daniel Nava (grand slam on the first pitch he saw in the majors), Ryan Kalish, all to fill in in the outfield with Hermida, Drew and Ellsbury hurt for extended periods this year. Felix Doubrant came up to fill in the bullpen and as a spot starter. None is a rookie of the year candidate, but they all deserve credit.

I can't think of a rookie from last year who is with the Red Sox this year.

• Joanna

Tough to crack into the line-up here in Anaheim. Bobby Ryan has looked decent but i think he's still a year away. Drew Miller is also not quite ready, and Jonas Hiller isn't anything close to the backup that Bryzgalov was for the Ducks.

Tyler Colvin & Starlin Castro they're the ones the Cubs have been marinating in the minors for the last 100 years.

Casey McGehee was raised in the Cubs system

For the Jays this year I like Brandon Morrow(9-6), his ERA is kinda high at 4.45 but as his career progresses it should get better, plus his recent 17 strikeout performance was amazing. Last year's rookie I liked Rickey Romero(9-7), he is also doing good, his ERA is sitting at 3.53, and again he's young so that should keep improving also.

• Chaos

Yes. We are starting to win thanks to our rookies and benching our veterans (Beltran, Castillo). Now, we are starting rookies such as Josh Thole, Fernando Martinez, Ruben Tejada and Ike Davis instead of Henry Blanco, Jeff, Luis Castillo and ummm.... who's that guy that batted clean up on opening day? oh yeah and Mike Jacob.

If you asked this when April ended. I would 100% praise Ike Davis like crazy. In the middle of April, we were like 4th in the NL East and people were eliminating us. We were about to enter a 10 game home stand and we brought up a rookie call Ike Davis. What do you know? We got 9-1 on the home stand and Ike Davis batted like .320. So if I had to picked a specific rookie, it would be Ike Davis

Buster Posey and Madison Bumgarner. Both have been great and contributed so much to this team. Best rookie from last season is Travis Ishikawa. He doesn't start as much but he's one of the best pinch hitters in baseball.