Who is 'Jane Doe' that Within Temptation sang about?

Within Temptation did a song called 'Jane Doe'.

Who is Jane Doe?! I tried looking her up on the net and there was something about a rape victim (?) but then couldn't be sure if that was THE Jane Doe or not.

And what does the Jane Doe song by Within Temptation mean/interpret?

Favorite Answer

I actually found a little article on Jane Doe! I believe Sharon said something about it either in an interview or the fan-club magazine. She said she really likes murder mysteries, so she wrote this song in relation to that, as an episode. It's basically about this psycho killer who tells his new girlfriend about all the bad things he's done, and then she laughs at him. So he kills her and attaches a bag of stones to her body and drops her in a lake. However, the bag wasn't tied tight enough and she started floating, so it's only a matter of time before he is caught!

And, for the record, a Jane Doe is a female who can't remember who she is or whose identity is unknown.

They call someone Jane Doe when they were murdered/ abused and they don't know her name. They tend to call rape victims Jane Doe until they find out their actual name. Ex: Our new Jane Doe has burn marks on her neck