Can Cold Sores be transmitted by. . .?

Hey, I'm wondering if cold sores could be transmitted by touching the skin of another person with an active outbreak, but the part of the skin you are touching is not the site of the active cold sore. I went to my grandmother's the other day and discovered that she had what I think was a cold sore. She is... show more Hey, I'm wondering if cold sores could be transmitted by touching the skin of another person with an active outbreak, but the part of the skin you are touching is not the site of the active cold sore.
I went to my grandmother's the other day and discovered that she had what I think was a cold sore. She is Korean, and does not speak good English, so if it was a Cold Sore, she may not have known what it was or how dangerous it is, and did not describe it as such. "I get bump on my lip, and squeejing the blood out earlier today." She said. It wasn't actually on her lip, but hovering above the left side of her mouth, and at this point seemed like a brown-black patch around the size of the end of a pinkie. She had a translucent covering or bandage over the patchy area, and I did not know if she had made any actual contact with the sore, but I assumed she did.
Anytime she would get near me, I would shrink away, and made absolutely no contact with her hands or her face. She did touch my clothes (which I've washed today), and I probably should've been more firm about telling her to stay away from me, but she's my Korean grandmother and I felt uncomfortable in forcing a quarantine on her.
BUT. Later on that day, she was sitting on the floor and asked me to help pick her up, and I did (avoiding her hands) I grabbed her arms and pulled her up, running away as fast as I could afterwards. As soon as I could, I washed my hands thoroughly with soap and then rubbed them vigorously with hand sanitizer.
But now I'm reading that you can catch the virus from any skin-to-skin contact with a person.
What I want to know is: can you contract the virus by touching an uninfected part of the person's body (when they're active), such as the arms in my situation? And as a side-question, can you get it from clothes that person has touched, after washing them, or from touching doorknobs that person has touched?
Any answers, experiences, or advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Also: I'm going back over to her house tomorrow to help her clean out a mess of accumulated junk, and if anyone has any tips for avoiding contraction, that would be much appreciated.