Devry asked in HealthOther - Health · 9 years ago

How to go barefoot over hot asphalt on summer?

I’m trying to go barefoot outside more often, but the hot asphalt is a big deal. Just the walking from the parking lot to a store burns my feet. According to Wikipedia, asphalt can go up to 300 F. Any help?

Favorite Answer

I lived for quite a while in the extremely hot north of Australia where the ambient temerature in summer can easily reach 50 C or higher. This means ground temperatures are often up to 60 or 70 C.

That is really hot - so hot that water instantly steams off when you pour some on the ground.

Yet it is not uncommon to find lots of people walking around barefoot, and I was one of them. I still am barefoot, but I live elsewhere now. It is just a matter of practice. If you grow up learning to be barefoot then it is no big deal, but if you are trying to adapt to being barefoot after having been shod then it will take time.

Do as the earlier guy said: find shady places to walk and make sure you feet get plenty of practice before you try to walk on something real hot. It will burn you if you are not ready for it.

Source(s): RG

I always walk on or across hot roads during summer, and hotter is better! If it's a hot parking lot I've even started standing for a while a few times while crossing for maximum heat to the feet. If it's asphalt near sidewalk, I'll walk on the asphalt as much as possible and only go to the sidewalk when it burns too much, but then back on the asphalt once the feet just cooled down once again for maximum heat to the feet. I also recently started walking over and standing on metal plates, so standing on metal plates burns really quick and leaves the soles really stinging for several seconds after stepping off the plate. I just make sure the plate doesn't show Electrical or Traffic Signal or anything else that may give a major electric shock if it's not properly grounded. If so-called "global warming" does anything beneficial for barefooting then it makes the asphalt hotter at lower air temperatures due to additional humidity. That's just a better way to get used to even hotter heat even sooner, even if it requires cooling off the feet more frequently during extended hot walks, making it possible for tolerating even more burning hot heat with even hotter air temperatures and in dry heat. Therefore lways maximum heat to the feet as long as I don't actually blister, for greater heat tolerance the next time I go out barefoot. That means the feet need to be red, stinging, even better if it feel like a pulse in the soles, and the best if the feet feel hot even overnight... or it simply wasn't hot enough.

There's no shortcut. Toughening by progressive burning is the only way. Just have to burn them over and over to get used to the heat.

Sidewalk before asphalt. Avoiding shade unless the burning is too painful to continue on both asphalt and sidewalk. Longer and longer times standing before cooling off the feet to a cooler surface before shade. Longer and longer times standing before walking. Longer and longer hot walks. Later in the day close to afternoon peak heat hours. Hotter air temperatures. Rougher gravel asphalt and then smoother blacktop asphalt. Lighter blacktop asphalt and then the darkest blacktop asphalt. Just avoid blisters--find a cooler surface or shade if the feet starting tingling stronger instead of the tingling getting less.

I my own experience--soles burned red, stinging, feeling like a pulse is in the soles, and even feeling hot overnight--all help in getting more heat tolerance with no actual damage to the soles.

Firstly let me congratulate you on your choice to take control of your life by shedding your shoes. You will find it a deeply moving experience.

Extra hot temperatures are something that many hard-core barefooters often are confronted with. Over time, your feet will toughen and you will be able to cope with more demanding conditions.

When I encounter hot asphalt or worse yet - hot metal on the ground, the way I deal with the situation is to firstly lift your heels off the ground and walk somewhat on your "tip toes". The second way I deal with the heat is to keep moving and try not to stand still.

The speed is your only saving grace until your feet have been toughened to handle the heat.

The only way to toughen them up is to keep them bare.

• KW

Yes, try to walk in the shade of parked cars and on the white or yellow lines that section off a parking spot. Spend more time on concrete near grass, stand on the concrete, when the burning feeling starts, step into the grass. I did that and found the more I did it, the longer I could stay on the concrete. Now, hot pavement is not too much of a problem.

RUUUUUNNN!!