Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPerforming Arts · 10 years ago

Auditions songs for preteen girls?

Hey!

I dont actually have an audition coming, but i want to get to know a song for the future incase anything pops up! :D

I'm 12, I was a descant in my school choir , em I can sing the songs i dreamed a dream and on my own from les miz comfterably, if that gives you an idea of what my range is. Any type of song, preferably something from a musical :) Maybe a list please! :) a few contemporary songs aswell if u can think of any !

Thanks sooo much ! :)

• Jess
    Favorite Answer

My repertoire consists of strictly operatic arias and musical theatre pieces, because that's the type of training I have. You should only sing operatic arias once your voice matures and if you pursue vocal lessons. I didn't sing any opera until I was 14, so you've got some growing to do. For musical theatre auditions, you are almost always required to sing a song from another musical. Because you say you sing "On My Own" and "I Dreamed a Dream" well, you are most likely a mezzo-soprano. Here are my favorite mezzo-soprano songs for a pre-teen:

A Trip to the Library - She Loves Me

Dancing All the Time - Big

Far From the Home I Love - Fiddler on the Roof

God Help the Outcasts - The Hunchback of Notre Dame (similar to "I Dreamed a Dream")

Happily Ever After - Once Upon a Mattress

Hold On - Secret Garden

Honey Bun - South Pacific

How Lovely to Be a Woman - Bye Bye Birdie (also soprano)

I Caint Say No - Oklahoma!

I Enjoy Being a Girl - Flower Drum Song

I Know Things Now - Into the Woods (more difficult to show off your skills)

I Wish I Were in Love Again - Babes in Arms

I've Got the Sun - Annie Get Your Gun

Let Me Entertain You - Gypsy

Life Upon the Wicked Stage - Show Boat

Lonely Goatherd - The Sound of Music

Matchmaker - Fiddler on the Roof

My New Philosophy - You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown

My Strongest Suit - Aida

Not for the Life of Me - Throughly Modern Millie

Really Rosie - Really Rosie

Shy - Once Upon a Mattress

The Girl I Mean to Be - Secret Garden

Who Will Love Me As I Am? - Side Show

Wonderful Guy - South Pacific

You Can't Get a Man with a Gun - Annie Get Your Gun

Best of luck!

Source(s): Musical Theatre Enthusiast, Soprano musicaltheatreaudition.com my own repertoire

If you really want to surprise and impress the people you are audtitioning for, do something from musical theatre or opera. This music is tougher, and has a smaller following these days, but is good for showing the potential of your voice, and shows that you are open to being a real singer versus someone who belts out contemporary 3 chord songs