Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 1 decade ago

What is the legal working age in Louisiana?

ok, so i'm 15 but i'll be 16 on november 4. i'm trying to find a job, because my moms not making much money nowadays. i was just wondering if i could work now and who hires near lafayette, LA.

my friend had to get a note from her school sying she was allowed to work somewhere but idk if i'd have to do that.

any answers will help :)

unless they're stupid..

haha oh well

thank you :)

2 Answers

Relevance
  • michr
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

in the US you could have been working since you turned 14,the laws are identical for those who are 14 or 15.......

there are limits on when and how much you can work but it is possible.....

Legally in the US under FLSA a minor 14 or older may work in an:

Office,

Grocery store,

Retail store,

Restaurant,

Movie Theater,

Baseball Park,

Amusement park, or

Gasoline service station

BUT...due to the high the unemployment rate at this time it is very difficult for minors to get a job.........the jobs that use to be held by teens and retirees are now being taken by adults trying to support their families.........

Fast-food and grocery stores are willing and able to train new employees but........................

Minors tend to have many issues that affect their ability to work such as tardiness, absenteeism, and numerous schedule requests, poor work-ethic etcetera.

I am NOT implying you will have those issues but the fact that many your age do makes it more difficult for you to get an opportunity to prove your worth.

Most businesses are individually owned and operated so it is the owner’s policy and past experience with minors that will determine if they will hire you. Apply everywhere you can, the worse that can happen is they don't hire you.

Businesses such as Publix, Kroger's, Food Lion, Sonic, Chic-Fill-A, McDonald's, Winn-Dixie, Krystal's, Dairy Queen, and Burger King along with smaller local businesses that are in the same genre tend to hire those your age.

Remember just because they legally can hire you does NOT mean they have to hire you or they will hire you. A lot depends on the employment outlook in your area, and the past luck (good or bad) the employer has had employing minors.

click on the following link for information about child labor laws such as the number of hours allowed, when you can work, what jobs you can do, and which states require work permits........

http://www.youthrules.dol.gov/

US Department of Labor

YouthRules

at any age you can

work at a business owned or operated by your parents

and in most states

work as an actress in radio, TV, theater or movies

at as young as 12 in most states you can

work on a PRIVATE farm hand-picking or selling fruits and/or vegetables

deliver newspapers or periodicals

umpire/referee in a MUNICIPAL league

caddy at a PUBLIC course

you can also do "casual labor" (work for an individual in their home) such as

yard-work,

pet-sitting,

baby-sitting,

tutoring,

running errands,

house-cleaning, etcetera...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

By "legal working age" I believe you are refering to the age at which a minor is allowed to work in any capacity. This age is 14 although there are a number of restrictions set for those under the age of 18. Those restrictions are stricter the younger the age of the individual wishing to work.

Before you turn 16 in November, you will:

~Not be allowed to work outside school hours

~Limited to 3 hour shifts on school days

~Limited to 18 hours for school weeks

~Limited to 40 hours in a non-school week

~Not be allowed to begin work before 7 a.m. or work past 7 p.m.-an exception to this rule is work performed between the dates of June 1-Labor Day when you will be allowed to work until 9 p.m.

The type of work you may pursue is also limited. You will have to choose from jobs at retail, food service, gasoline service and similar establishments that are non-hazardous and do not require any type of tough physical labor. Another thing to keep in mind is that each company or business that you apply to may have age restrictions of their own. A number of companies prefer their employees to be at least 16 or even 18. Good luck with your search!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.