Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 10 years ago

The great cartridge debate: Part 1 (Redone)?

Ok. You asked for it, here it is. My last question was a concept to get the "Best Cartridge of the Year" from the Yahoo answers hunting forum. It was bad, I admit, and I'm sorry for it. Although, here it is, redone, with real cartridges, and less of them. Yes, Glacierwolf, the .338 Winchester is included. Ok, so you know the rules, put down your opinions and facts, and then vote for one of the cartridges. In here, it is OK to be chatty, and is probably an upside of this. Debate with members of the hunting section for the best (North American) big game cartridge out of the ones listed. Remember this is to have fun, so do so.

Cartridges in question:

.243 Winchester

.25-06 Remington

.270 Winchester

.280 Remington

.30-06 Springfield

7mm Remington Magnum

8mm Mauser

.308 Winchester

.300 Winchester Magnum

.325 WSM

.338 Winchester Magnum

.338 Lapua Magnum

.375 H&H Magnum

Or elect your own! Don't see anything that deserves Top Cartridge? Just name it!

Remember to list your facts, and under sources, put your final vote.

*If you don't like the game, don't play it.

Ok, I have tallied votes so far:

.30-06 = 4

.375 = 1

7mm = 1

.270 = 1

.45-70= 1

Favorite Answer

Dangerous question. Everyone on this Forum has strong opinions on this question. GlacierWolf likes his .338. FMJ loves his 7mm Mag. Tahoe likes his .45-70. There are no bad answers here. These are all are great guns.

I like Tahoe's answer with the .375 H&H and the .45-70 and .450 Marlin for shorter and medium range shots at heavier game (moose and bear, and deer)

I like FMJ's answer with the 7mm Mag for longer range deer, bear and antelope.

Several mentioned the .30-06 --- a good "middle-ground" rifle.

Several mentioned the .270 --- the great flat-shooting rifle for deer and antelope.

I will vote for the .300 Win Mag.

It shoots a .30-06 bullet -- but faster and with more power. It is really a .30-06 on steroids.

It shoots about as flat and accurate as the great .270 or FMJ's 7mm Magnum, but with typically more power.

It has the shorter range stopping power similar to (but less than) Tahoe's .375 or .45-70.

If you are trying to select just one rifle --- that shoots .30-06 bullets as flat as a 7mm or .270, with the stopping power similar to that of a .45-70 or .338 or .375, then a .300 Win Mag (or .300 RUM or .300 Weatherby) seems to make the most sense.

For the record --- I love the flat shooting .270 and 7mm Mag, and the .45-70 or .375 for shorter range heavy game. But to roll all of these into 1 single "hybrid" all-around gun --- I think it is one of the .300 Magnums.

Some will say it is "overkill" for deer. I am not especially concerned with "overkill" --- it is the possiblity of "underkill" on larger, more dangerous game that is of greater concern to me.

Ok, why not, I'll play.

My vote goes to the 7mm Mag or the 30-06. Lots of great material here, but those two really stand out as 'great cartridges'. The 7 Mag, in my opinion, has more use than the '06. Remington's reduced recoil loads combined with lighter bullet weights make the 7 Mag great for smaller and medium game like 'yotes and raccoons alike. Normal loads will take any game up to moose, and the hotter, heavier loads can take the largest bear within a reasonable range and a good shot. Because of the terrain where I hunt, longer shots are often necessary, and the flat trajectory and good ballistics coefficient of the 7 Mag is a plus. The '06 can do the same, with heavier weights, but the larger bullet size makes it a little large for preserving pelts. The trajectory is not as flat nor the ballistics coefficient nearly as good. They sure are cheap to shoot, though. The FMJ target ammo I buy is $9.99 for 20 rounds, never seen a better deal.

Both are really good, I was also considering the .308 or .270, but my vote goes to the 7mm Magnum.

• MJ

If you want the max variety of rifles chambered for one cartridge, you want .308 Win. or 30-06 Sprfld.

Since 30-06 is slightly more versatile for taking game than .308 Win., 30-06 comes out ahead. Anyone who does not live in Alaska can "get by" with 30-06, no problem. 30-06 is relatively cheap and available everywhere.

Source(s): I like 30-06.

I vote for the .30-06. It can do anything in North American you need, be found anywhere in any load you want. I hunt in Missouri so you rarely ever have to shoot over 100 meters, so the .30-06 is great at this range and beyond, but also great for close shots like I usually get.

Personal defense, I like it light...I'd go with the .223 and it's hotter twin 5.56mm...a good open tip or quick fragmenting round.

Hunting. There I'm hung. You can make a case for 30-06 all day long, but I've taken more big bucks at range with a .270 than anything else, simply because my perfectly sized and weighted model 70 featherweight is IN .270, not because I have a particular affinity for that round.

Recreation ... the .22lr rim-fire, or...wait for it....the .30-30. Yeah I said it. It's low on recoil but slaps the steel with the best of them. Fun lever action rifles are, well, lots of fun! Sorry I couldn't be more help or more specific.

without question. 270 winchester.Ask Jack o'Conner. With proper bullets, knock down anything.Remember, you said NORTH AMERICAN!With modern style bullets hanloaded, it can take anything from mouse to moose.You said BEST! aCCURACY IS SUPERB. My handload of the 150 gr. speer, 3 shots in a nickle @ 100 yds. Have to admit, Alaska? Go with the 338 win and up. For the lower 48, 270 perfect. Flatter shootin than the 308 and 30-06.7 mags? more kick, and what do you get in return?I'd take my 270 against sasquacht.Varmints? Hornady manual # 4 got loads up to 3400 fps with a 100 gr. bullet. Max load for a 150 is 2900fps in the 270.154 in the 7mm mag is 3000fps. TZhe 270 does it with 54.1 grains of powder. 7 takes more powder. Mo powder, mo kick.I know the 30-06 is gonna win..........270 right up there!

.375 H&H Great for big moose sized game, but can be loaded down for deer. I think its the most versatile hunting round out there for hand loaders.

Also like the .450 marlin and .45-70. the .450 is arguably better, and lots of hand loaders i know swear by it.

I have a .45-70 and am pretty much convinced that it can stop anything within 100 yards, especially with newer ballistic tips like Hornady Leverevolution. I am continually impressed.

I would say the 30-06 its a great all around cartridge

.300 Savage or 30-06....300 Savage gave you the power of a 30-06 (almost) in a smaller package....and can be used (as I have seen) up to about an Elk.....for killing animals larger than that I would use a 30-06...

The 338 Winchester Magnum. It can take any animal in N America and is my fav.