mroof!
mroof! asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

VA Probation Period Question?

I had my interview with a clinic for a vet assistant position and they want me to come in starting for a week of unpaid training.

I'm curious as to whether this is normal (the unpaid training) or not?

Honestly, I don't really mind: But I really want this job and a friend mentioned that some businesses will do that so they can continuously hire unpaid workers (eg. hire me for an unpaid week and then take someone else for an unpaid week). Is this true?

I should note that I have no prior clinical experience.

Best Answer

Here is some information you might find helpful-

It does not sound like this job meets the six criteria that would make unpaid training legal.

------

Labor Law And Unpaid Training Time

Unpaid training or unpaid internships is a common, but unreported labor violation. It violates minimum wages and overtime laws. The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires payment of minimum wages and additional overtime premium if the individual works more than 40 hours per workweek.

There are many jobsites that prohibit posting of unpaid trainings or unpaid internships. However, some companies makes a deal with the applicant to work for free for a stable job in the future. Some companies also require an individual to engage in unpaid internship as part of the college program.

Unpaid training is legal if no work is performed that is of any benefit to the company. For instance, an individual in an unpaid training program cannot conduct market research, sort files or file papers, write company reports, deliver mails or in any other job that helps an employers in running his or her business.

The best example can be given of martial arts schools that require students to teach other student in order to give additional belts. This qualifies for unpaid training and is illegal unless the student is paid for the time. This is because the act of teaching the students benefits the school and its employer.

The U.S. Department of Labor (DoL) has provided a list of 6 criteria. All of the criteria must be met in order for a training to be unpaid:

The training is similar to the training given in a vocational school (even though it includes actual operation of the facilities of the employer).

The trainees work under close observation, but do not displace regular employees

The training is for the benefit of the trainee

There has been an understanding between an employer and trainee that the trainee is not entitled for the wages for the time spent on training.

The trainees are not entitled to a job after the completion of the training

The employer derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the trainees in the training process.

• I registered with my probation office yesterday morning and showed the intake officer proof of what legal medications i am prescribed and he documented them . I have not yet been assigned a probation officer yet but I have orientation on Monday at another location (Human Services). My charges involve possession paraphernalia that had drug residue in it. But it has yet to come back from the testing lab. I pleaded guilty in order to get time served. my concern is I have been on Vyvanse 30mg now for almost 5 years and 1mg klonopin at night for a few months. My lawyer, when asked told me that as long as I have a valid, legal prescription for these medications that It would not be a problem with my probation officer. But the other night I could not sleep and took more of the klonopin than directed on the bottle and i am scared to death because I took my prescribed meds before being assigned mY probation officer and checking with her first and bc if she decides to coulnt my klonopin pills there will be less pills than there are supposed to be based on the fill date. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated as I feel like i cannot even breathe because i am so scared right now about this

-Charlotte

• Aduial

I have never heard of any job doing unpaid training.