Congress Blocks Military Aid To Lebanon. Will Lebanon understand the lesson?

The chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee said Monday evening he is holding up previously authorized military aid to Lebanon following last week’s Lebanese army attack on the IDF in Israeli territory.

California Democrat Howard Berman said he is concerned that the $100 million in military aid for the Lebanese Armed Forces (LAF) will be used by Hizbullah terrorist forces.

Earlier in the day, number two GOP Congressman Eric Cantor said he would act to block the military assistance, and Democratic Congresswoman Nita Lowey, who chairs a key House subcommittee, said separately that she will delay implementation of the military aid.

Implying that the Lebanese army and Hizbullah terrorists are corroborating against Israel, Rep. Cantor said, “The days of ignoring the LAF's provocations against Israel and protection of Hizbullah in Southern Lebanon are over. Lebanon cannot have it both ways. If it wants to align itself with Hizbullah against the forces of democracy, stability and moderation, there will be consequences.”

Israel has warned that the lines between Hizbullah and the Lebanese army have been blurred as the terrorist organization’s political arm increases its political power in the pro-Syrian government in Beirut.

After the clash, in which a second Israeli officer was seriously wounded and three Lebanese soldiers and a journalist were killed, Hizbullah leader Hassan Nasrallah praised the Lebanese army and warned that Hizbullah will not be passive. He said, “The army fought heroic confrontation with the Israeli enemy in southern Lebanon. This time we stood and watched ... but next we will not. Israel's aggression on Lebanon has never stopped. We will not stand idle ... we will cut any hand that attack our army."

Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barac answered very clearly: "it happens that Hizbullah will shoot into Tel Aviv, we will not run after each Hizbullah terrorist or launcher of some rocket in all Lebanon. We'll see the government of Lebanon responsible for what happens, and for what happens within its government, its body politic, and its arsenal of munitions. And we will see it as a legitimate to hit any target that belongs to the Lebanese state, not just to the Hizbullah.”

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I doubt Lebanon will get its lesson but I hope finally America will get its lesson, because one by one these other countries are showing their true colors. America shouldn't be supporting Lebanon anymore now that Lebanon supports Hezbollah. We should have withdrawn support along time ago when Hezbollah got power in Lebanon, what took so long?

We truly only have one ally in the Middle East, a long standing ally, and that is Israel.

We really just need to support Israel 100% and throw in the towel on the rest.

Reagan was the first American President to respond to terrorism when Libya terrorized our troops in Germany and Reagan responded swiftly. He said we'd "act with others if possible and alone if necessary." Well, we acted alone then and we emasculated the Libyan President and we are not alone now. We have an ally with Israel who has been fending off terrorism for much longer than we have, and on their home turf. It is only common sense that we would "team up."

It's ironic that a few years prior to Libya that we had the Beirut barracks bombing where a faction of Hezbollah killed our Marines and Reagan's order to retaliate decisively was squelched by Weinberger. If we had done what Reagan wanted then.... what a different story we could tell now.

This time, yes if someone needs to learn the lesson, it would actually be America, the easy way and Lebanon maybe easy way, hopefully not the hard way. To once again be like a Reagan and respond against terrorism, one way or another. Lebanon might learn a lesson in the process and one that would be beneficial for them as well. Hezbollah most definitely has a strangle hold on Lebanon and now that Lebanon is under it's belt they have a warpath to Israel. To me it's a win-win for all three countries and the peoples involved for America to tighten down on Lebanon and for Lebanon to learn its lesson. But no I doubt Lebanon will learn lesson anytime soon. I'd hope they still struggle against the extremist Muslim invaders in their midst though but the saying goes, you can lead a horse to the water but you can't make him drink.

Reagan on Terrorism

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo7HkVyJJ5s

Youtube thumbnail

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Without reading all of that (sorry), I would say that Lebanon might learn something; however, Hezbollah will still be the wretched existence that they have always been. They'll whine and b*tch and complain and do all sorts of stuff, but I don't think they'll learn a thing. Actually, they don't like America, anyway, so why should they care if they don't get American dough?

• 1 decade ago

That sucks, but that is what a Zionist occupied government is there for. AIPAC hold disproportionate power over the US government and everybody knows it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

GOOD!!!! now time to teach little arab nationalists a lesson in respect.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They don't really need you or them, they have Iran.

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

yes my friend

zionazi supporters AIPAC & co. run american media govt banks markets politicians

we know

• 1 decade ago

of course but the lesson is to us Americans which is our congress is run bu a buch of bigots and we shouldn't reelect them

• 1 decade ago

i didn't read all your crap but all what i know is that your great IDF was in LEBANESE territory..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.