Female-male transsexual interested in men?

I have a very good friend who is a woman, and she feels that she should, physically, be a male. She crossdresses and goes all-out on the male thing, and she's currently looking for a good program for gender reassignment, and I understand that this makes her a transsexual. But she also tells me that she is interested in men more than women. My question: why become a man to be gay? Is there a term for this, or any informational websites? I'm going into a psychology major and I'm interested in why she feels that she needs to be a man if she is still going to see men (wouldn't it be easier to just stay female?), and I'd like to know more about some other people with the same feelings.

Best Answer

trans-folks come in all flavors... your friend just happens to be a gay trans man... it is not, why become a gay man... he IS a gay man.

it has a lot more to do with the fact that he identifies as a man, but is sexually attracted to other men... if he was attracted to women would you feel any different?

the personal identities of individuals AS gay or lesbian (or bisexual as in my case) have a whole host of implications on personal interactions and day to day living that come along with it...

people do not get to choose who they are attracted to or what their gender identity is, your friend just happened to get one of the rarer mixes out of the gender / sexuality grab bag is all.

No. Some t-girls are indistinguishable from women that were physically born as females.

The part of the brain responsible for sexual attraction is completely separate from the part of the brain responsible for one's gender identity. The part of his brain responsible for sexual attraction was feminized, while the part of his brain responsible for gender identity was masculinized. His brain is very likely completely identical to that of other cisgender gay men.