?
? asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

What are the most overdone cliches in books?

I am writing my second novel and instead of asking what I should have in my story, I'm more curious about what I should definitely NOT include. What recurring theme or thing in novels irritate you the most? Like love triangles, damsels in distress, vampires, werewolves, etc.

Favorite Answer

Well, all the ones you mentioned. Do NOT under any circumstances include them. Also, I would say that magic in general is a no-go (mainly because there are a lot of magic-themed films at the cinema just now, and nearly all are based on books.) Also teen diary style books. They are fun, but there are a lot of them at the moment. Well thats all I got, that seems to be overdone, but there are probably more. Why not go down the book shop, they usually bundle the books with the same themes together.

Answer mine please? I too am writing a story and need the help with my main characters.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AoDuy...

I completely disagree with the premise that there can be overdone cliches. It matters less what subject/motif you incorporate in your novel and more how you recreate it through whatever artistic vision or innovative aesthetic techniques.

Take the obvious example of the Twilight series (which I am proud to say I have never read). The author clearly took an outdated, not so popular motif and gave it a breath of fresh air.

Unless your writing is completely plot oriented, say, like Dan Brown's or J. K. Rowling, you shouldn't worry too much about the limitations of your subject matter. The REAL limitations are in you.

Good Luck!

vampires, werewolves, love, good vs. evil, i know the good vs. evil thing is hard not 2 do, but if u can think of something to overblow that cliche, i think u can come up with either a well done unique classic, or a flop. so yah, bye!

Source(s): moi

-wolves. every other story or fanfiction i see is about wolves. its being overdone.

-conspiracies can be fun and interesting to write about, but make sure you get all the info correct, or you will have people complaining about how something you stated as a fact, is wrong.

Source(s): im published!

don't have any girls who cant decide on who they love. Its annoying. Also don't the "I love you but I have to leave" theme. Like the on and off again relationship. Im tired of reading those.

vampires of course, shy girl meets hot boy and he falls for her, and visa versa, girl/boy discovers they have super awesome powers dormant inside them from birth

-Orphans

-Sick relative who needs a a rare medicine

-Average joe/jill finds out one day that they have special powers and basically become gods

-Orphans

-Loser teen moving to a new city, and suddenly becomes popular

Did I mention orphans?