Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 9 years ago

In the first Star Wars (A New Hope) why didnt Chewbacca get a medal at the end?

Best Answer

He got a doggy bone instead.

Denied!!!! heavily, in case you examine the unique novelization by George Lucas, which replaced into absolutely ghost-written by Alan Dean Foster, Chewbacca were given his medal later, yet Princess Leia did not positioned it on him because Chewie replaced into too tall and she couldn't attain. heavily, examine the e book!

That was Lucas trying to be "PC" before "PC" was annoying. When asked about this Lucas says that he didn't want people thinking that there was some kind of "anti-alien" bias in the awarding of the medals because Chewie would have had to kneel down for Leia to put the medal around his neck and Lucas didn't want people to jump all over him for making a Wookie kneel down to a human princess. Sounds weird but that's the "official" reason given by Lucas.

@ joker1 - thanks for the link to that on YouTube ... I've been trying to find it for years.

May The Force Be With You ...

EDIT: Sorry "Ron" but that article you cite is the biggest piece of fan made BS that I've ever read. Sorry but Darth Vader had more to do with the formation of the Rebel Alliance that either Yoda or Obi-Wan.

.

Source(s): WebMaster/Owner Star Wars Dockingbay Life Long Star Wars Super Geek starwars.com/hyperspace
  • Ron

There is a theory (one that makes a lot of sense in my opinion, even if it's totally made up) that Chewie and R2 have been the Rebellion's top two agents since the first film, and by the time we get to the end of Ep 4, Chewie figures he's been decorated enough and doesn't need another medal. It's a very interesting theory to consider, I would recommend a quick read-through to any SW fan...

http://www.morningstar.nildram.co.uk/A_New_Sith.ht...

I had the honor of being able to ask this question to Chewbacca actor Peter Mayhew himself. He told me it was because Wookies are a proud and humble race and they do not seek rewards or glory for doing what's right. Or in my opinion it could be just a mistake by George Lucas.

hah sadly mistake by George Lucas

cause he slept with the medal maker's wife

no one knows, but princess Leia finally presented it to him on MTV in 1997

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUXIz8C3028

Youtube thumbnail