Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 10 years ago

How can I continue to abuse alcohol without doing further damage to my liver?

So I was hospitalized last week with pancreatitis and diabetic ketoacidosis after collapsing at my sister's wedding reception. Anyway, the doctors ran some tests and it turns out that I have elevated liver enzymes and show signs of advanced liver disease.

The doctor advised that I quit drinking and even referred me to several addiction treatment facilities. The thing is, not drinking isn't an option. Drinking to excess is a very important part of my lifestyle and my professional image. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there a safer way to drink? Are there any multivitamins or herbal supplements I can take to lessen the damaging effects of alcohol on my liver?

Drinking is very important to me and if it comes down to it I'll choose drinking over my own health and well-being. I just hope it doesn't have to come to that.

I am not sure if you are serious about dying. You seem to be. It will come to that and sounds like you are nearly there. Your professional image is obviously important to you, but let's face it, you won't have one if you are dead. You should take your doctor's advice and stop drinking. There is no way to "safely" drink or to take anything to reverse the damage you have already done. But you can stop it getting worse if you stop now. You don't have to do it alone, there are lots of organizations that can help you and people in the same situation as you. I am sure that you can find a way to maintain your professional image without killing yourself.

I have listed a couple of websites you could look at below, but there are many others.

It is totally up to you what you do with life, and if you do decide to give yourself a chance, then I wish you all the best.

What the hell is wrong with you? How is drinking an important part of your professional image?

Maybe you could drink alcohol looking like drinks and act drunk.. if it's such an important part of your image. Other than that there really is no helping your liver by drinking excessive amounts of alcohol.

What do others think of you and your drinking habbits? I'd be mortified if I had any liver disease, nevermind advanced liver disease, from drinking.

You need help.

There are no herbs or remedies to cure or treat advanced liver disease. Your liver is damaged and scarred and cannot process and remove toxins(the ones your body makes naturally, like ammonia, and the ones you add like alcohol) from your body. In continuing to drink you are signing your own death certificate. My brother died from the same thing. He was 27. Enjoy each day of your life to the fullest. You don't have many left.

Seriously?

I'm not even going to dignify this question with an answer

Go make your will so your family and friends can have your stuff when you die.