Mark Twain quotes: do you have one that comes to mind?

Here's one to live by: “If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.”

Do you have a favorite Twain quote?

Favorite Answer

So many great quotes. A brilliant man!

Let us endeavor to live, that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. ~Mark Twain

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. ~Mark Twain

The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are in the right. ~Mark Twain

Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.

The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.

He meant that the most important kind of education is that of the education obtained through trial and error and through your own real life experiences. I believe; although my memory is a little sketchy and I may be mistaken about this, that Twain did not finish schooling and dropped out as early as elementary school because I know that he quickly became a printers apprentice at the age of 11. Twain was also widely known not only as a renowned write, but a humorist as well who was known for his sense of humor and sharp wit just as much as he was for his tenacious and mischievous character Huckleberry Finn

• xo379

My favorite:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover

Plus...

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear.

Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with.

Good friends, good books and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life."

• jerryb

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

Mark Twain

American, Author Quotes

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."

"Go to heaven for the climate and hell for the company."

"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn’t know."

"Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."

- Mark Twain

My favourite quotes from him + the one you already mention. He is one of the many people I look up to and respect :]

x Tay

Source(s): Myself

I only have one twain quote that comes to mind... sorry... its

"Out of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most" ( im not even really sure if its twain!)

• One of my favorite quotes of all time (& one I always remind my kids of):

"When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years." -

• Harry

"The report of my death was an exaggeration."

“When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." [MAY not be an original, but I still like it]

• Ron

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

Grief can take care if itself, but to get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with.

I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell - you see, I have friends in both places.

• bob

There is no class of criminals native to America, with the exception of Congress, of course.