Alternative way triggering coilgun discharge - not using an SCR, IGBT or FET?

I recently finished building most of what is needed to be used in my coilgun. Built a small variable voltage SMPS which outputs anything between 150-500V, designed for 12v input but will run lower happily. After extensive testing of the circuit and my capacitors, I came to the conclusion I had no "delicate" way of actually discharging a cap into a coil (realised how serious this was after discharging a half charged 500J cap by shorting :S).

I would like a way of discharging up to 1kA (minimum voltage of 500V for a portable coilgun design. Semiconductor switches rated for this are so rediculously expensive, I won't even consider them (an SCR rated for this will cost me at least $400 brand new, used ones are very hard to come by in this country). I was wondering if it would be possible to make some sort of ionization tube, similar to a flash tube without the flash.

Mechanical discharge is something I definately want to avoid after previous experiences but I would consider it if there was a way of doing it without the blinding flash and microsonic boom.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

• Ubi
    Favorite Answer

I do not know where to get an affordable SCR, but you may have other options such as a mechanical contactor that can work depending on the specifications.

Check out the 4hv forums under railguns... there are a ton of topics there.

http://4hv.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewforum....

• ?

What do you p.c. from the implant must be your first question? Then seek for the style that terrific fits that aim so which you heavily isn't dissapointed. picking an Implant you ought to evaluate right here once you and your medical expert are discussing implant thoughts. Implant status - whether or no longer an implant is PMA-authorized or investigational (no longer PMA-authorized) must be some thing you communicate (see the status/Availability area for information). An implant this is investigational ability you will could desire to be a area of a medical learn how to get those implants. besides, the medical expert of your selection could artwork with in user-friendly terms particular breast implants. shape and length - counting on the needed shape and length you prefer to realize, you and your medical expert could p.c. a around or contoured implant shape of suited length (quantity). you ought to observe that contoured implants that are located submuscular (decrease than the pectoralis considerable muscle) could anticipate a around shape after implantation. Your medical expert will additionally evaluate your present tissue to verify in case you have adequate to cover the breast implant. Implant floor - Textured floor implants have been designed to decrease the prospect of capsular contracture. some learn with small numbers of females recommend that floor texturing reduces the prospect of severe capsular contracture. in spite of the undeniable fact that, different learn of a extensive form of females with saline-crammed implants practice no difference in the probability of arising capsular contracture with textured implants whilst in comparison with soft-surfaced implants. Implant Palpability/Visibility - right here could reason implants to be greater palpable (greater truthfully felt) or greater seen: textured implants; greater advantageous implants; subglandular placement; and smaller quantity of pores and skin/tissue attainable to cover the implant.