Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 9 years ago

Are there any public radio shows you listen to on a regular basis?

I always listen to Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me!, Prairie Home Companion and All Things Considered. Less often, Car Talk, Fresh Air and Morning Edition. Do you have a favorite? Our local public station had to drop Car Talk and it was widely resented by the listeners, but apparently it's one of the most expensive programs to run. (I expect some negative comments and that's all right.)

I think maybe when I wrote "public radio", I didn't quite get the message across, and I apologize. It should be "listener-supported" public radio; at least that's what they call it here. I have indulged in a little Bob & Sheri, too, I will admit. Sheri is one smart gal.

• Tigger
    Favorite Answer

I listen to the local radio station, news and music is all it has.

We don't have listener supported radio.

I do like a lot of shows on PBS TV channels though.

Prairie Home Companion and Car Talk are my favorites. The brothers have a weekly column in The Seattle Times, but listening to them is much better. Years ago I wanted to win their contest for a trip to see them and a performance of The Flying Karamazov Brothers.

On Sunday afternoons as we drive home, we listen to Marketplace Money for very good information on Savings, finance & the economy. I also enjoy most of the ones you have mentioned. I stopped listening to Morning Edition a few yrs ago but i sometimes catch it on weekends. Once in awhile I enjoy listening to the Splendid Table but it is on at the wrong time & day for me now. Our local PBS station KPPC has Larry Mantle in the late morning with interviews & discussion on current events. I usually catch this program when I am out running errands during the wk. On the other PBS station, I listen to Jazz.

Source(s): KPPC KKJZ
  • Holly

Not since the old "Kitchen Klatter" radio show with Leanna, Lucille and Evelyn from Shenandoah, Iowa. It started in 1926 and I listened to it from the 50's through December 1985 when it ended. Now I just listen to "Car Talk" occasionally.

ESPN Radio used to be good, back in the early and mid-1990s, but no more. There is a talk show on KMOX out of St.Louis that is politically middle of the road that I used to be able to pick up, but can no longer get it.

The NPR stuff is good too, especially All Things Considered

I listen to ' The Bob & Sheri Show ' in the mornings and ' Delilah ' in the evenings. Both are great shows and both are available to me over LIGHT ROCK 107.1 FM out of Delphos / Lima, Ohio.

I love Wait, Wait.. and Prairie Home Companion, but I usually hear them only when I'm in the car.

I sometimes listen to the radio when I'm driving. I listen to our local radio station, and when it isn't music, they give local news and announcements. I sometimes listen to "The Trading Post", too. People call in and tell what they have for sale and give their phone numbers to call.